Speculation on the next Airport

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by The Black Rock, Apr 3, 2005.

1. The Black Rock macrumors regular

Any one have any thoughts as to what they'd like to see in an Airport revision. I'm only hoping for smaller, cheaper, and faster. What do you all think?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Actually the size of both units is just fine in my opinion. Some of the small wireless bases from other companies feel like they'd break if you dropped a toothpick on them.

Faster speed isn't so necessary anymore, but Apple should keep up with the standards. However, the faster standard9s) haven't been ratified yet, so Apple is waiting on those.

What I would like to see is a little more flexability in the dhcp service. As in being able to permanently assign IP addresses based on the units MAC address.

In truth, Apple has done fairly well in the design so it doesn't need much changes. Although a lower price would be nice.

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Really? I'm hoping for cooler, better, and awesomer. I'm sorry, just haad to make fun of the fact that you are expecting the three goals of practically every electronic device in production.

But for reaeeaaalll..... I'd like to see the option to stream video through the express..... but we all know that would take some serious bandwidth. I's also like to see a wider range of support for wireless printers. Improved Rendezvous networking would be nice too.... but we've all heard about Tiger's new "Bonjour" service... (trying to hold back a laugh)...

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

That shouldn't be that hard. I guess you'd have to build in the decoder into the base station though. a DV stream like you get from a digital video camera is only about 3.5Mbps IIRC and even 802.11b can have a through put of 11Mpbs. With WiFi-G you should have plenty of bandwidth together.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

6. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Ok, but if the base station became 802.11e, that would most likely mean that computers with a "g" card would still be able to stream to it? Or would it require a new card? If Airport Extreme gets replaced, would one be able to replace an AE card with it's replacement?
    Anyways, what I would like to see (for the Airport Express, which I'm considering but waiting for a revision):
    - inclusion of the audio cables
    - an included remote
    - the option to stream audio from DVD player/Quicktime
    - the ability to directly plug an iPod into an AEx's USB port and play music through the stereo via it

If the remote and audio cables weren't bundled, a price drop to $99 would be fair.

7. diddy macrumors 6502

8. Bear macrumors G3

There are third party solutions to do this, but you will not have shynchronization with the image due to the buffering delay.

Umm, this isn't needed as you can just plug the iPod directly into the stereo as well.

9. auxplage macrumors 6502

I think Apple will adapt the 802.11n which is 108mbps and is backwards compatible. Apple could also support the 5.4ghz frequency, 802.11a, while supporting keeping the 2.4ghz frequency at the same time (Is this possible?).

10. Bear macrumors G3

To support 802.11a and 802.11b/g/n in the same base would require almost double the hardware.

Apple will pro'ly support 802.11n when it is ratified as a standard.

11. auxplage macrumors 6502

I see. Well it would be cool just to have the 5.4ghz frequency for those who want it at there house since less household things interfere with that band. No "hotspots" use 802.11a, so it is not really important.

12. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

audio and video won't sync with airfoil due the latency because of buffering.

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you could just read the standard and see :p

14. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I would like a base station to come standard with the Airport Express, there are third party solutions though. Better reception is a must. I find Airport reception to be lacking ever since Airport Extreme was introduced.

And about a 15% price drop. The prices for airport are just way too high. I actually might buy one if the price came down. $179 for a base station is crazy.

15. auxplage macrumors 6502

$99 express
    $149 basestation

These prices would be acceptable (barely).

16. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

1. I know there are third party solutions, but I don't think you should have to pay for something that should be included out-of-the-box. And I'm sure Apple could find a way to add a short delay to the start of the video while it buffered the audio or something.

2. A direct iPod-to-Express connection would be ideal for me because to plug the iPod directly into the stereo requires a whole different cable, dock, etc. none of which I have and if I got I would have to flip back and forth between the iPod's audio cables and the Express's cables when it would be easier to just plug the iPod in. If it could sync with iTunes over AirPort as well, then it would serve as a very functional remote.

17. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

yeah expextily since I can go out and get a linkey wireless G router for 60 bucks. Now that is hard to beat and I can get hte speed boosted one for like 80 which is faster than the Airport

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Apple's basestations are getting up there in price, but the Express is still a good deal in my opinion because of its streaming capabilities and because it can print wirelessly, two awesome factors in my book

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Granted, it's a software issue, not a hardware one but I reckon they should add the option for administrators to see exactly who's on their networks. I still haven't found out how to do this and I'm pretty sure you can't but I'd love to be proved wrong. :)

Also, they could add more options for the USB ports such as scanner attachments and network storage.

20. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

There is software for this, made by Apple in fact, I can't seem to find a download link at the moment but it is shown on their website:

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/campus.html

Only shows MAC addresses at the moment, there are 3rd part programs that exist too

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks for that but it's not like Apple to make it so user-unfriendly. It really should just be part of the Airport admin utility.

22. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I do agree, it feels like it has been rushed and really should be intergrated into the Admin Utility, hopefully they will fix this in the next release

23. qzak macrumors 6502

as always, no one can say for sure when Apple will rls new products, but any ideas when we'll see the new Airport Express?

24. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Possibly a few months for an annual update.

25. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

A good time to announce would be with the release of iTunes 5 on the second anniversary of the music store. *Fingers crossed*
    When was it announced last year? Right after the release of 4.5 at... some conference thing.