Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skitzodancer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
hi,

when i was producing music on pc, i used FL studio and used the text to speech feature a fair bit.

is there anything like that for mac ?:apple:

Plumbstone

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
You can simply use the free built in app, 'TextEdit' - type in what ever you want, go to the edit menu, down to speech and click on 'start speaking'. It will use whatever voice you have selected under speech in your System Preferences.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
hi,

when i was producing music on pc, i used FL studio and used the text to speech feature a fair bit.

is there anything like that for mac ?:apple:

The best speech software on the planet is what I'd call "research grade" and made for use in university labs but it s free and not so hard to use. In fact I think this is what Apple is using inside Mac OS.

http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

Notice on the page it says version 2.1 is available for download. This software allows you to build your own voices, add intonation, pitch and whatever. You can mix some directives with your text and send it to the engine. Comes with several different speakers with different accents

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
The best speech software on the planet is what I'd call "research grade" and made for use in university labs but it s free and not so hard to use. In fact I think this is what Apple is using inside Mac OS.

http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

Notice on the page it says version 2.1 is available for download. This software allows you to build your own voices, add intonation, pitch and whatever. You can mix some directives with your text and send it to the engine. Comes with several different speakers with different accents

For music production, one big downside of Festival is that commercial use of most (or perhaps all) the voices in prohibited. So for example, you couldn't use it in a recording of a song that is offered for sale.

If I remember correctly, Festival's system for controlling pitch used XML markup, which made the process time-consuming. There was a project based on Festival called Flinger that allowed use of MIDI to control pitch of the synthesized speech. It seemed promising, but I haven't heard much about it in years. It is still around?

skitzodancer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
the good thing about the FL studio one was how crap it sounded... you can hear it being used in deadmau5 somethings get complicated and im pretty sure benny bessani used it on the satisfaction song.

looks like ill need to get a cheap windows pc and run fl on it just for these vocals

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.