speech recognition accent

Discussion in 'macOS' started by minimanshane, Nov 27, 2005.

1. minimanshane macrumors newbie

Hey my speech recognition system is set to understand american is there a plug in for uk accents as it is hard to put on an american accent!!!
    Cheers shane

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've definitely never seen any such plug-in for speech recognition. They never went any further than offering Spanish and American English. (No, I wasn't saying Spanish English. :p)

I was just trying it and didn't find a problem with my Japanglish accent. Are you sure it's that difficult?

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

MacSpeech offer a UK English version of iListen, but that's kind of an expensive option given that the Mac already has speech recognition built in :(

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Personally, I gave the speech recognition a whirl years ago when I got my old iMac, and it really, really struggled to understand my Yorkshire accent. I had better results when I adopted a (bad) American twang, but felt really silly so I quickly gave it up as a bad idea. :eek:

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've struggled a bit with a Yarkshar accent, too. ;)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not once has it understood either my Aussie accent or my Aussie attempt at an American accent. :(

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You speak it like a native. Well done. ;)

8. josepho macrumors regular

I just started trying it last week, and made little progress. My accent is Scottish, but isn't very strong, so I didn't think I would have many problems. However, the de facto test phrase "What time is it?" would work only about 1 in 20 times... The one phrase that I tried and tried with NO success was "Switch to Safari" -- it would successfully switch to iTunes, Camino, etc., but there must be something about the way I say Safari (I'd phonetically write it: sa-'far-ee). I've given up...

9. hopejr macrumors 6502

yeah, American accents are understood the best. I'm aussie, and it has problems with my accent, I have to repeat about 4 times before it responds (got annoying). I had better results with an american accent (I can put one on to an extent, as when I was in north america for 6 weeks I lost my aussie accent completely and had to re-learn it :p). Just makes me look stupid when i do it lol.

10. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I'm glad to hear that. I thought it only did not work with german-english accents. Oh well I will get over it. The weird thing is that some commands work just fine. (tell me a joke) others don't work at all and then there are those that just do whatever they want.

Maybe in a couple of years we will have voice recognition software that adapts to the speaker on the fly no matter what language or accent he/she is using.