Speech voices

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamescwarren, Jan 1, 2006.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Does anybody know any free speech voices that you can actually understand unlike the ones that Apple provide? I have tried Cepstral voices but you have to licence them which I don't want to pay for. Any voices for Mac that are free and as good as the Cepstral ones. There must be some?:rolleyes:

2. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

For crying out loud — absolutely pathetic! It's only been 20minutes or so since you posted! :mad:

And it's New Years Day when most people are sleeping in or out doing other things!

Stop bumping your own threads and have a little patience.

4. fixerman macrumors member

fixerman

Isn't it about time somebody answered the guy?:eek:

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and free high-quality speech synth voices for OSX don't exist.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

The answer NOW is Alex, included with Leopard and Snow Leopard--it's at least as good as anything Cepstral offered the last time I checked. At the time of the original question back in 2006, though, there wasn't any.

The older stock voices--Bruce and Vicky--are reasonably understandable, though. I say this from a lot of experience, as a throat disorder rendered me unable to speak and relying entirely on a homebrew "talk for me" app I wrote to make noise for me during most of 2006. Bruce got the job done, though Cepstral was nicer had I been willing to fork out for them. I sure would've liked the option of Alex, though.