Speed Control: Overclock the PowerMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by froggytreafrogg, Aug 16, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Hello, I recently finished building my B&W PowerMac G3. I looked across the motherboard but took a closer look at the "warrantee void if seal is broken" sticker. I looked near the white bar that the sticker was covering and saw printed on the motherboard that it is like a speed control: called "speed/clt." I was wondering what this is and if it can overclock the speed of my processor to make it faster. :apple:

2. macrumors 68000

Hrududu

Thats exactly what it is. You pull of the jumper block and can up the processor speed by changing where jumpers are placed. On a B&W I've never gotten any more than 50MHz out of an overclock, and on a Beige not more than 350MHz out of a 333MHz to run stable. Give it a shot.

http://drivejumper.com/ClockupG3/b&wclockup.html

3. macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

After the warranty ran out, I managed to get my rev 2/350mhz B&W up to 500mhz.......but it is best if you try it in 50mhz steps, and check it for stability after each step. I remember being so thrilled at getting the extra speed for FREE :p

Just as a precaution, I added a small fan on top of of the heatsink, just to be sure it didn't fry itself. I ran it that way for 2 years nottaneveraproblemo.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

how important is it to have the fan. the heat sink doesn't have a fan: is it important to put one if i optomize the processor? Thanks
    PS: nice signature

5. macrumors 65816

The PSU fan blows air over the CPU heatsink in the B&W G3 models, you don't need an extra fan, though I suppose it couldn't hurt. Not sure where you'd put one, though.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

yeah, i see what you mean. i clocked it up to 450 (from 400) im scared to push it any harder.

7. macrumors 65816

Don't worry, go for 500. You can't hurt the processor... it'll either fail to boot (no boot chime), freeze after a while or during startup, or run fine.

You can't damage a CPU unless you overvolt it, which isn't possible on a B&W G3 without a soldering iron (you have to desolder a few resistors).