Speed difference in 12" and 14" ibooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Gmac07, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Gmac07 macrumors member

Jul 13, 2005
    ok i originally was just going to wait and save up to get a 15" powerbook. but now with the updated ibooks im probably just gona grab 1 and sell it a year from now. now i really dont care about screen size cuz both are the same resolution. but that 1.33 vs the 1.42 has me guessing. i plan i running final cut express on this machine. would the speed bump be worth the extra cash? as far as the superdrive i dont really care too much cuz if i got the 12" i would just get a really nice ext dvd burner later on. my other worry is how the 32mb GPU holds up in final cut express. i already have an extra 512mb chip to add in so that would give me 1gb to start with. i definitly need a laptop before i go to school. right now im leaning towards the 14" for the extra $200, i think its worth it, but what do you guys think.
  2. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    The speed will not be noticeable in normal use. It may get some things done like .5 second faster or something.

Go for the 12" and external 16x Dual Layer DVD+-RW
  3. Gmac07 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 13, 2005
    in normal use yea you wouldnt see a difference, but what about in final cut express???? and as far as the ext 16x DL burner i like the sound of that alot better than the superdrive.
  4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The speed difference will be negligible even in processor intensive applications. You're looking at about a 6% difference in clock speed which probably translates into about a 2-3% performance increase.
  5. Gmac07 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 13, 2005
    well on aug 2nd or 3rd im going to NYC so thats probably when ill buy it. i dont want to wait for an online order and would rather see it before i buy it. i just think that it will come down more to the look and feel of the 12" vs. the 14" screen. I guess the speed difference wont be that big of a deal, but I'll just test it out at the store. But i definitly want to see it before i buy it.