Speed Difference in iBooks

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Z6128, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Z6128 macrumors regular

i'm deciding on a new ibook, and i know that the 14in gives you more for your money. however, i will be using the ibook mainly as my laptop for college and think ultra-portability would really ease things up. the superdrive doesnt matter much to me and i have a 17in external LCD so screen size doesn't matter. if i maxed out the ram on either model is there a big noticable diference between 1.33ghz and 1.42ghz. i'd mainly be using basic apps (iTunes, iPhoto, MS Office or iWork, Internet, Email, etc.) so theres nothing too intensive that would run on the system. anyone have any views on this, esp the portability of the 12in over the 14in?

2. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Keep in mind the screen resolution on both iBook sizes is the same, so the 14" just makes the text look larger. If the memory is maxxed out, the speed difference will be so negligible, especially given your expected usage. As to portability, the 12" is the better option for many ... but the difference in weight of one pound should not dissuade you from the 14" model. Both are excellent machines and you will be pleased with either one.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The speed difference really is negligible. I'd go for the 12 inch iBook every time unless I had poor eyesight, in which case the larger pixels in the 14 inch screen would be a godsend, or if I needed the inbuilt Superdrive (which you don't). :)

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You will hear a lot of opinions on this.
    I bought the 12" book because:
    1. it is lighter and smaller than the 14"
    2. no screen real estate gained on the 14" because the resolution is the same (1024x768)
    3. the processor difference is minimal and won't be noticed under most apps.
    4. I don't need a superdrive and I can an external burner if needed.

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

The speed difference is not noticable, i have a 1.42 mac mini and a 1.33 iBook and they rip CD's into my music library in the same time give or take a few seconds.....

Shadow

6. Z6128 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all the input. i'll most likely be getting the 12in now that i know theres not much of a difference. let's just say a portable laptop is important because my last laptop was a Dell Inspiron 1100 with a 15in screen and weighed 8lbs and was 2in thick :eek:

7. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Smart choice for you ... the speed differential would be challenging to notice even with a stopwatch. BTW, do those bulky Dells come with a back brace?

8. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

9. Z6128 thread starter macrumors regular

ha, the dell makes your legs numb after using them for a while. i always had to resituate myself after about 10min with the thing. and you could never get anything done on it because the battery lasted no more than 45min. speaking of battery life, how is the ibooks? (sorry for asking this here, i didnt want to make a whole other thread though)

10. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

You can expect an average of around 4 hours on a full charge.

11. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Battery life is better than the PowerBooks. ...many cite in the range of five hours.

12. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

i have a G3 500mHz 12" and it still works well with those programs you have listed, just boost the memory and itll run beautifully.