Speed Difference?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tedrjr03, Aug 21, 2006.

1. tedrjr03 macrumors regular

tedrjr03

hello i was wondering if there is that big of a speed difference between a powermac g3 400mhz and a g4 400mhz?

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Depends on what you will be doing. For basic tasks like surfing, email and word processing, the difference is negligible. For more intensive thinks like mp3 encoding, image manipulation, the G4 will be considerable faster. While both are quite old, go for the G4 if these are your only choices.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Anything that's Altivec optimized will give you noticeably better performance but probably nothing dramatic.

4. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I believe some of the iLife apps wont work on a G3, so G4 would be the better bet.

5. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I think besides speed differences, you will have much better compatibility with the G4 vs going with a G3

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i thought the G4 and G3 chips were pretty much the same chip, only one had Altivec and the other didn't...
    I can understand how power consumption and heat given would vary, but would a program not run on a 900MHz G3 and run on an 800MHz G4?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If it requires AltiVec then yes, this is possible. A lot of Apple software is very heavily AltiVec optimised so a G4 is recommended over a G3, even a marginally slower (clockspeed) one.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

A 400MHz Power Mac G4 will be faster then a 400MHz Power Mac G3, but how fast depends on what you are doing with it. :)