Speed increase with Panther on G4s?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by onlydroops, Sep 11, 2003.

1. onlydroops macrumors member

Aug 5, 2003
    I hear that supposedly Panther will make significant speed increases for the G5 systems... but will there be a comparable increase for the G4s?

When people talk about how Panther will be faster, what exactly is going to be faster?
  2. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Re: Speed increase with Panther on G4s?

IIRC, there was someone who claimed to have access to developer builds of Panther that claimed there were at least decent speed increases in store for G4 uesrs. I don't recall who it was though.
  3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    People who have tried the developer releases of Panther builds notice speed increases on EVERY Mac! G3 or G4!
    Boot times, starting applications, Finder responsiveness.... all speed up using Panther.
    Cant' wait till the final release... :)
  4. veedubdrew macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I second that. I have a 600 MHz iBook G3 withOUT Quartz Extreme. When running Panther it feels far snappier than my 800 MHz flat panel iMac G4 running Jag. The iBook boots faster, opens windows faster, opens contextual menus faster, scrolls smoother, shuts down faster, etc, etc. And all this is without the benefit of QE.

Many apps are faster in Panther too. iCal is noticeably quicker, Mail is worlds faster, Sherlock is faster, System Profiler is way faster. Regular apps seem to boot a bit faster too. Sheets come and go faster and with cool effects.

Overall, just the speed increases alone are worth the $129 in my opinion. It's a beautiful OS that is maturing nicely. Unfortunately for Apple, it will probably help to keep me from buying a new Mac for a few more years :)

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    LOL! Don't say that too loud..... Otherwise 10.3.1 would show some significant speed decreases.... :D
  6. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    I've been running the Panther betas since early July. I just installed 7B59 yesterday and it is defnitely getting close to GM. The UI is almost 100% faster than Jag on my 1 GHz/1 GB Tibook. It seems to use less memory, as well. Safari is much more stable and even fatser than Safari under Jag. And PDF rendering is simply astounding.

I think one of the reasons Apple charges $129 for major OS X releases is, in part, because the speed improvements themselves *do* extend the useful life of existing Apple machines, and therefore are very much worth the price. Then you add all the new functionality on top of it, and it's a no-brainer purchase, in my mind.
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I've seen so many people mention that Panther is much faster. I hope it's still faster after the GM.

The beta releases of 10.2 and 10.1 were much faster than the final release, so history will most likely repeat itself in certain areas.

Hopefully, the overall increases will be anywhere from good to amazing with better stability than we have today.