Speed issues!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mmmdreg, Jan 5, 2004.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

my iMac overall has become slow. It took 20min to start up. We're talking a 600MHz iMac G3 here with 640MB of RAM. Funny thing is, the 450MHz downstairs with only 128MB of RAM kills this computer as far as startup and other things are concerned.

It was reformatted about a fortnight ago. Permissions have been repaired. Disk utility's SMART info on the HD says "verified".

2. iGav macrumors G3

maybe this will help....

from Apple Discussions page...

3. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Maybe i was faster but startup took 11 minutes and login another 5. Strange. And for the past two boots, it has gone into the console thingie from which I have to "exit" from to get to the main login screen.

And while I'm whinging, the top-right portion of the menu bar freezes occasionally and is only fixed by a logout/restart. This include the time, volume, monitor and all those things. So yeah.

So speed-wise, I was thinking, maybe my hard drive is reaching the end of its life. Like as my memory gradually gets used up and the hard drive is used more for replacement, the computer naturally gets slower but this gets slower than it should so maybe the read/writing of the drive is screwing around.

Can you get replacement HD's for iMacs?

4. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Yes. Installing them is also pretty straightforward. Look for links to illustrated instructions on xlr8yourmac.com and various other sources online.

5. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Wat're the chances of that working do you think (ie. make it faster)

6. iGav macrumors G3

not sure... was it fine before you reformatted a couple of weeks ago???

if so, it could be a bad install, I've had that happen on a few occasions, where I get weird symptoms, and sometimes it's easier, and faster just to trash it all and start again rather than fault find.

maybe try zeroing all data, and then reinstalling??

if not, then shoehorn in a new faster HD...

7. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

It's been like this for aaaages. Well since I started using 3 partitions (which I've stopped) which woulda been about the 2nd time I installed Jaguar.

Right now I got a 30gig main partition and a 8gig parition for music. Does this have the slightest chance of being the cause of any slowdown?

8. Plissken macrumors newbie

Personally I am not a big fan of partitioning at all except for some rare circumstances but at the same time I doubt that the partitioning is the cause of your problem because you only have 2 partitions. If you have just reinstalled and wouldn't lose anything by reformatting I say go for it, it would help in knowing if it is that HD. Of course, if you do I'd take the chance to install Panther if you can afford it.

9. iGav macrumors G3

I'd tend to go with what Plissken has said, I very much doubt it'd be caused by partitioning your HD.... although personally I'm not a fan of partitioning and don't do it myself, I know people that do and they don't seem to experience any real problems.

I'd trash it, zero all data, 1 partion, install OSX (but don't install anything on it, or copy any music, files etc) then see how it performs totally stock.

That's all I can really suggest, maybe some of the heavy tech guys on here might have better suggestions.

10. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Resurrecting an old thread by me.. I "reset" the computer with the little button on the back and I'm pretty sure it was faster after that.. that was a while ago..

before I reset it, when started verbosely, there's a buncha funny messages that probably shouldn't be there.. and they're around these days too..

it's a funny a computer in that after its long startup/login time, appz will take like 2 minutes to open (mail, safari etc.) but after they're opened the first time, they'll open fast (1-2 bounces) the next time.. which seems kinda screwed to me..

any more help you people can offer>

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Maybe knowing the funny messages and what the Console was showing you would help us identify the problems. :)

12. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

At work we have subscribed to a different attitude about partitioning. I have a G3 with a 12gb HD (that came with it) and an additional 80gb internal HD. The 12 is partitioned into 4 partitions 1. OS=8gb 2. Applications=2gb 3. Fonts=500mg 4. Work space=1.5gb (to have working files on the local drive is much faster and reliable than accessing files from the server.

Here are a few articles as to why:
    http://partition.radified.com/partitioning_2.htm
    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lame/LAME/linux-admin-made-easy/install-partitioning.html
    http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/11/20011106125932.shtml
    http://www.lowendmac.com/tech/partition.shtml
    http://www.themacintoshguy.com/mactips/archive/tip10.shtml

I could list more but you get the idea. I'm not saying partitioning is right for everyone, it just makes sense for us, and based on the information posted we decided to partition

13. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

As per your request, screenie1, screenie2, screenie3..

They start a bit past the start of the verbose.. just after "cleaning up" started.. The funny lookers are pretty obvious I'd think..

oh. and at the end, after "IP firewall loaded", the machine sat there for like 5-10 minutes..

14. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

The DNS messages are likely because the machine can't contact a Time Server, try turning that off in System Preferences / Date & Time. Also check that your network connections are all working properly (Airport connects if your wireless, Ethernet/Model otherwise). You can also try running the hardware check CD that came with the machine (assuming you have one).

15. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

The time serving wasn't on.. all the connections also seem to work..

16. PalmHarborTchr macrumors member

slow?

If you guys do not have the utility software Diskwarrior or similar
    then you are unequiped to handle problems with OSX.

go spend the money and get it...............you definately will not
    say it was a waste of money..........it will probably solve a lot
    of problems so you won't need to post here.

17. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite