Speed kills. 55...too slow.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sdashiki, Oct 5, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Too bad they don't know how to spell "obedience." :confused:

People who pass on the shoulder make me want to pull out a shotgun and kill them from my car window.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Too bad they don't know how to sound edit.. All I can hear is bloody sitar music and mumbled dialouge. MUMBLER!

Funny that looks like traffic where I live everyday..
    but it's not because of 'socially conscious "yutes"'.. it's because rednecks and hillbillies are ****ING STUPID!

LEFT LANE IS FOR ****ING PASSING, *******. NOT DRIVING SLOWER THAN THE SPEED LIMIT! GAH!

</rant>

3. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I know, this is one of the worst videos i have ever seen in terms of editing.

all of the sound is at different levels, they used one of the worst audio compressors, And they really didnt get to the point fast enough.

fast forward and see the end result.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Did you mean 'they'? :p

That reminded me of a demonstration in the UK a few years ago. To demonstrate against the rising fuels prices, groups of lorry drivers would 'block' the Motorways by slowly cruising down all three lanes... caused major traffic-jams.

It doesn't matter how 'fast' you make the speed limit, people will always want to go faster....

.... I heard that the '55' speed limit in the USA was imposed in the 70's, because of the fuel-crisis at the time. It was never raised?

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Hey, thy editd ths thg ovr a deent spn of tme. I ws psting on te fl. :D

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yup.
    It was, in some areas. Others kept to 55.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yup. Depends on the State, the road, and in some cases, the county/city/town/township.

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

I remember that. :D This was done by some Georgia State students a little while back. It ended up being a huge deal on campus (both GSU and the neighboring Georgia Tech campuses) right after that happened.

The whole point that they were proving is that the overall speed limit on I285 (the road they filmed on), which is 55mph, is pretty dangerous; more so than speeding. There are a ton of 18 wheelers due to the way that Atlanta roads are set up. Anyway, the average (actual) speeds are closer to 75-80, but I've had to do around 85-90 to avoid being run over.

10. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

What I find is that I personally don't care if people go 80, 90, 120, 180, whatever...it doesn't bother me. If they go around you and go fast, who cares? I think it's fun to watch them go fast.

However, I don't understand in 1 lane, when I want to do 60 in the 55 zone, they maintain a distance of 3 feet between their front bumper and my back bumper. That really, seriously pisses me off. You step on your brake and they like freak out and stomp on theirs because they're so close...that should be a sign that they're driving like an idiot.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

I was coming back from DC one day and was fairly rapidly passing a truck on a two lane highway. This guy comes flying up behind me (I see him coming) so I turn my signal on before I am past the truck to let him know that I intend to get out of his way. I start to make my way over, he nearly clips me, honks at me to get out of the way and then flips me off.

Then there are the people who pass on the shoulder. Excuse me, that's not a fracking travel lane. Mind boggling - passing on the shoulder at 80 miles an hour. :rolleyes:

Best yet are the crotch rocket gangs that ride BETWEEN cars on the dotted lines at 100+.

Best question yet: Where are the police and what are they doing? :confused:

Adults acting like preschoolers. I don't even like to drive anymore. It's insanity out there.

12. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

The hard shoulder is usually where all the cr*p gets swept by traffic passing by... likely to cause a puncture or just flip your car over, if you hit something big enough.

As for police patrols, I don't think they could ever handle all cases of speeding - Speed Camera's are best deterent.. hit serious speedsters where it hurts the most. If you don't speed, you don't get a ticket.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Once again, I will offer my "three strikes" proposal for speeders: Three speeding tickets, and you lose your license to drive, for life.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

John Kennedy's chances of survival would have dramatically increased if he was bashing down the road at 55.

15. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

thats a bit harsh.

i think if you cant pass a license exam (retaken every 20yrs?) then you should lose it. cough cough, old peeple.

speeding tix give alot of money to communities.

16. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Are you kidding?

Most speed limits are set too low. We've got giant interstates that go in straight lines for hundreds of miles with reflective markings and huge shoulders on both sides. Setting the speed limit to 55, 65, or even 75 on these roads is a waste of time.

Have you ever driven through Kansas? Texas? Wyoming? 75 is a crawl.

Of course, if we raised the speed limit, we'd also have to invent some kind of driver education program, and perhaps a state-licensing system, you know, something you'd have to carry around to prove you knew how to operate a vehicle. :p

Just because I like speed doesn't mean I like ****ty drivers. I get more worried about the morons, loons and *******s then the speeders. In Denver the drivers aren't mean or stupid, they're mean and stupid

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Compromise. Three tickets in three years. Most states offer some method of taking Defensive driving to get out of one ticket a year. That one doesn't count. In order to get 3 tickets in 3 years you'd have to get caught speeding twice a year for thee years straight or 5 times in 2 years or 4 times in one year. If you get nailed speeding this often you have a problem.

18. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

The UK's highway code's stopping distances are still recorded using drum brakes not disc brakes. This is what sets the speed limit so if they switched it to disc brakes, then the speed limit would rise.

55 mph isnt too slow anyway. I have a friend who is currently in hospital on a life support machine in a spinal ward after being hit at 50. It was blustery winds and the driver lost control of the car and veered into her. Speed limits should be set on how easy it is for pedestrians to get onto the road aswell to minimise deaths.

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

My cousin thought of doing this a few years ago, but we never followed through on it.

Actually, on I-93/Rt-3 northbound into Boston. the shoulder is a legal travel lane during rush hour. Of course, it obviously doesn't facilitate passing the same way.
    And they used the same scrolling text used in 90% of all videos.

Well,, it is on YouTube....

20. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

But people are still allowed to use drum brakes, so that wouldn't work.

21. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, I couldn't understand it very well. Be nice if there was a clear explanation for this experiment of theirs. Pretty amusing... but where are they that the freeway limit is 55 MPH? It's 65 most places here.

Because the faster you drive the more dangerous it is. Depending on the conditions, though, 80-90 might not be unreasonable. But I've gotta say, if you NEED to go that fast, you're too impatient (like most drivers are, which is partly why it's so dangerous out there).

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

First of all, no, not kidding. Not entirely at least. If the three-strikes logic works for other violations of the law, surely it could work for this one.

That being said, I'd go for the compromise of three tickets within a ten year period. Anyone who's caught speeding more than once every three-four years is a danger to everybody on the road and has demonstrated a disregard for the law. People like that should lose their driving privileges.

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Wow, I watched the entire video and totally missed the point. Were they claiming that we should make the roads safer by raising the speed limits? :confused:

...And should I be the one to point out that if laws were followed, we'd never see a situation like the one in this video? ...or that those people were breaking the law while filming this video?

24. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

The premise of the video and this thread is that the speed limit is set too low in some places. Hence, if some cop gives you a ticket, perhaps to fulfill a quota, that it's not really so valid because everyone should be going over the limit.

Yet, you advocate harsher penalties for people who get speeding tickets... :confused:

Again, the frequency of the tickets doesn't have any bearing in this discussion, as the validity of receiving the tickets at all has been questionned. If something is being misenforced, then the number of times it has been misenforced has little reflection on the driver.

Or are you saying that these harsher measures would come into affect once the speed limits were rectified? That's the only way I can wrap my head around this...