Speed reading?

Discussion in 'Community' started by savar, Sep 2, 2005.

1. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Have any of you tried any speed reading courses? Books/software/tapes, etc. I'd really like to increase my reading speed and retention rate, because mine is dismally slow for a "smart" person, and I'm going to law school in a year or two.

2. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i've read stuff on photoreading and the like, and i found most of it useless.

The one thing i did find helpful was the try to reduce critical thinking while you're reading. This means trying to shut out thoughts of not having enough time, or of not being able to do something...

Do this by meditating for a couple minutes before reading. Sit silently, take deep breaths, and try to ignore any mistakes you've made in the past, forget about the future and concentrate on the present. It helps me.

This is from the book "The Now Habit" by Neil Fiore...pretty good read and really helped me overcome procrastination.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can't speed read either. I read slowly and carefully, and if I don't understand something the first time, I read it over again. And again. This happens a lot in Physics.

I wish I could be one of those people who skim, don't be too careful, and just get the jist, but I can't. I'm just not the type.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The more you read, the faster you'll get but I agree there's not a huge amount to do. I have friends who tried those speed reading courses at University but didn't find they helped much.

I read pretty fast and seem to retain most of it but I've been that way since I was a child. I read an article suggesting that those who read quickly actually use their brain differently. Their eyes scan a few lines ahead in the text and let their brains catch up. Apparently this is why I'm quite happy to walk along a street with my nose in a book - my eyes glance from the words to the pavement but fast enough that my brain keeps reading. How you teach yourself to do this though isn't made clear.

Some suggest that skim-reading is only really useful for revision when you're already familiar with the text since otherwise comprehension and retention may be limited. As ever, wikipedia has some useful information.

5. mpw Guest

I'd love to help but 10mins. in and only half way through this thread I'd forgotten what it was about
    :eek:

6. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

What was what about? :p

7. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Saw recently a report on tv bout speed reading, so i got quite interested in this topic. Did anyone learn it from a book?