Speed testing broardband

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbrown, Jun 7, 2006.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2002
    Can anyone recommend a GOOD site to test your connection speed - I'm supposed to be on a 4 mb line but don't believe it. I'm in UK if it makes a difference.

PS - from a good broardband provider - what should I expect ( upload / download ) for a 4mb connection??
  2. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    There was a thread here recently (UK Connection Speed Battle) that will not only give you the available speed testers, but will give you a comaprison of other UK users.

Good luck! :)
  3. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    At 4MB, you're probably OK to test at adslnation.org.uk but bear in mind, that all tests depend on what else is going on online. That site tells me that I'm on a 10MB connection - but I download from Apple's servers at 1.6 to 1.7MB/s

I'd suggest going to Apple's support site and choosing a few large files to download and add the speeds together. You'll get much closer to your true speed than a single speed test of a relatively small file.
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yeah, as Applespider's saying, very fast connections don't work with these online testers because the bottleneck becomes the computer's aptitude with Java rather than outright network throughput. That's why downloading a file from a close, fast server is a better way of determining your maximum speed. :)
  5. FragTek macrumors 6502

May 29, 2006
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I use the VisualWare tester for all of my broadband testing needs. It seems to work pretty good. It shows pretty close to what the SpeakEasy tester does, a tad low on the download side though. It all depends on how busy the servers are at the time though.

6. dogbone macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2005
    S33.687308617200465 E150.31341791152954
    I find this to be quick and accurate and does both download and upload.