Speeding Ticket....

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Aug 4, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Today on my way home from work I was driving down the highway going maybe 75mph, in the center lane, keeping up with the rest of the traffic. This state policeman is behind me and is riding my tail, so I move over to the right lane, slow down to 65, and the policeman goes with me and is still riding my bumper. Since he is litterally 2 feet away from me, I speed up and he goes with me. I go back into the middle lane and he comes with me again and pushes me to go faster, so I go up to 85. Then the jerk pulls me over for speeding.

I felt like saying "What the h*** is the matter with you, you jerk, you were following and were almost touching my bumper" but instead I calmy as possible explained that he was pushing me. $1xx dollar fine. I'm going to fight it though. Is this some sort of scam so that the government can make some MORE money?

UPDATE: I won! Apparently this isn't the first time the cop has pulled this

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Much easier to slow down and let them pass you, especially when they are a cop.

Sometimes you will even have to slow down quite a bit to get some cushion in front of you to account for a tailgater.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I can't believe that you got a ticket for this - there is no way that you deserved it!

Maybe you should be allowed to give him a ticket! ;)

Guess that your state just needs some more $$$ :rolleyes:

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

you should have slamed on your brakes and then he can't sue you because all you ahve to say is that he was following to close but you could sue him because he was following you do close. ;) :p
    But that does suck...

why is everyone in trouble with the law tonight... bad members.. bad ;) :p
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=141987

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

What did the officer say about that? Did they give a reason?

My exact thoughts ;) :D

6. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I would have but my car costs enough to fix and I don't want my insurance to go up, its already quite expensive.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Cell phone, call the detachment

"I'm on the 95, there's this driver driving dangerously - he's tailgaiting me. Yeah, 2 feet off my bumper. Yeah, a male, driving a Chevy Caprice, about 2002, white with some decals on it. License? I gotta pull ahead so I can see it. You're right he's that close. OK, got it now. 467-HDV. Can you get a patrol car out here to pull this guy over before he causes an accident?"

8. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Did you understand the story. I went to the slow lane to let him pass me but he went into the slow lane with me.

9. mpw Guest

I've been stopped plenty of times and accused of speeding, often I have been above the posted limit, but all but once I've talked my way out of it at the road side or at the station and avoided court (there's no simple ticketing here).

I've never relied on charm just pointed out errors made by the Police or asked to see the calibration log for the equipment they've been using or their certificate of competence for that piece of equipment etc.

The one time I got to court I'd argued that the officer was corrupt as my sister and I were both stopped on the way to the same party about 10mins. apart and while she was actually faster than me by around 25% she was a pretty young thing and was asked not to do it again and I got stuck with a £50 fine. The senior officer I took this up with, and who sent me to court, said when I suggested his officer was corrupt "yeah but what are you going to do?"

But then our Police here are crap.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

he was a jerk, but you shouldn't have let him get to you and should have stayed at your slower speed so nothing could have happened

11. vniow macrumors G4

I ****ing hate the power-trip that some cops go through when they're following you, I was driving home late the other night and was speeding (although I wasn't realising it) and this cop pulls up behind me and gets almost right on my bumper for more than a few blocks. THEN he finally turns on his lights and I pull over. Thankfully I didn't get a ticket, just a warning for my busted headlight. It certainly didn't help matters when I had to wait in my car for about 20-30 minutes while he checks my almost non-existent record.

Geez.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, I understood... but he was probably already running your plate at that point.

Speeding up, usually isn't a good choice at this point.

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The proper response indeed CanadaRAM. :D

14. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Haha that reminds of that part in SuperTroopers when the state policemen have the dispatcher run the plates on local police car because its speeding or whatever happened.
    ----
    I think the police gets enough money. The police in my town has only 2 or 3 officers on duty at a time yet they have 5 crown victorias (with leather), 1 Chevy Tahoe, and new 3 Ford Explorers. They have this new fancy police station yet 10 people get arrested a year. Oh wait, there was a police chase, they better be like a town a couple towns over that has a few Acura TLs for chases.

15. mpw Guest

Don't brake, that'll show up on his in-car camera. Change down a couple of gears or use the hand brake without locking the wheels.

I tried to pull a speeding Police car over once but they wouldn't stop. I think they got real nervous though 'cause I was behind them flashing my lights and they were looking over their shoulders. I followed them back to their HQ and made a complaint but was told there was nothing they could do 'cause I had no witness.

16. mpw Guest

Intriguing ;)

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good try. :)
    Hopefully you will have better luck next time. ;)

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

My thoughts exactly.

Care to go into any detail vniow..... ;)

19. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Oh yea, he also wanted to search my car.

I said "Do you have probable cause" and he said "uhhh..no"

I'm a 36 year old clean shaved white male brown hair with a little blonde in it with blue eyes. I'm wearing a shirt and tie with a labcoat, I still have a stethoscope around my neck, I'm driving a mercedes.

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Perhaps he just wanted to drive your mercedes (since he can't afford one). :rolleyes:

21. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

You should have slowed down and let the cop hit you. I mean, if he was a close as you say, even a small, but sudden, slow down could do the trick.
    Get the cop in a knot, have the ploice pay for your car and feel satisfied.

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

exactly what i was going to say. i've had cops tail me, usually they are running my plates (i assume) i just go on about my business, no harm no foul. i'm from los angeles, i don't put much concern into being tailgated. [shrugs]

that sucks and all but you are the one who chose to speed knowing a cop was on your tail.

edit: removed what i really wanted to say

23. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

In his Mercedes-Benz!? :eek:

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Gotta admit though, the lab coat and stethoscope would be good cover for a drug smuggler. None of them drive Mercs or Range Rovers either... ;)

25. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

What was it that you wanted to say...

There is no excuse for a policeman to be followin me for 10 minutes on a highway.