Speeding ticket

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sideonecincy, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I was driving home tonight, I just moved down here a little over a month ago, and got nailed for doing 51 in a 35. I had a radar detector too, which makes me feel like a complete jackass, but I had music on and I am currently partially deaf for the time being. Anyone have any success fighting a ticket even when you knew you were guilty? Or should I just take a lesson learned and try not to speed? This is my 3rd ticket in a year and half.

Any advice?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

1. Get a lawyer. Don't go into court without one.

2. Ask about a "prayer for judgment". This is a legal process available in many jurisdictions which will allow you to have the entire incident expunged from your record (read: no insurance premium increase, no points) in exchange for (probably) some community service.

3. Stop speeding.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Umm... You were speeding, right?

You are not being unjustly accused of an infraction that you did not commit?

So pay the fine and take the hit on your record.

Don't consume the police and court time trying to weasel out - that is irresponsible.

PS: if you were distracted and could not hear, so much that you were doing 16-over in town, and didn't hear or see the detector or the speed trap ahead --- then you were a hazard on the road, man. You wouldn't have heard a horn or someone yelling or had time to react to a pedestrian or another car... You were a parent's worst nightmare when their children are walking home from school. Turn down the jets. Hopefully you have learned...

4. Sideonecincy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I was speeding...but I've always heard to never pay a ticket out no matter what.

I dont think I was distracted, I was fully paying attention to the road and well aware that I was speeding but just wasn't able to hear the radar detector go off and it was 10pm so I couldnt see the type of car coming towards me, and it ended up being a cop.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Cop it on the chin and stop speeding. Only take it to court if it is unjust, not because you think you can get off.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK, You were intentionally speeding, doing highway speeds in town, in the dark, and had the music cranked so you couldn't hear the detector.

That make me feel so much better...

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You better hope the judge never sees that comment.

"I was fully aware that I was speeding, but I couldn't see the cop car and I couldn't hear my radar detector. How was I supposed to slow down in time?"

Pay up! Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

8. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I was in the same situation a few years back - doing 75 in the 55 - and they nailed me. No use fighting it, you'll pay as much in fees as the ticket, plus it'll eat up your time for nothing. Just pay the fine, learn a lesson.

9. Sideonecincy thread starter macrumors 6502

I hardly find 51 to be considered to be highway speeds, I considered 80 to be highway speeding...

if something jumps out in front of my car whether im going 35 or 50, chances are im still going to hit it. I'm making myself sound like im highly uncapable of properly operating a car right now though.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I believe, in Ohio, anything over 65 mph is illegal. You should never even get close to 80 mph.

11. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

3rd ticket in a yr and a half? I'd say pay the damn thing, you should know better by now. But if you want to fight it, you can, most people do anyways.

12. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I was busted for speeding, doing 85 mph on the freeway, speed limit at the time was 55. The cop said he would give me a break and write that I was doing 70 because I was wearing a seat-belt. I wasn't sure why that mattered but someone told me that 85 mph would have been reckless driving and carried a bigger fine and looks worse on your driving record.

I went to drivers safety school for 8 hours and it was dismissed.

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Er, you were speeding and you got caught, again.
    My advice is: STOP SPEEDING!

14. Sideonecincy thread starter macrumors 6502

It is, I live like on the border of Indiana/Ohio and I think part of Indiana speed limit is 70...I was always told you could do 7 over on highway and 5 over in city and wouldn't get pulled over. So doing 77 is almost equal to doing 80 to me

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

:eek:

OK, I am thinking there is something seriously misunderstood here.

Pop quiz.
    Part 1
    How much further does it take for an average car to stop from 51 MPH than 35 MPH?

Part 2
    In one second, how much more distance does a car travelling 51 MPH cover than one travelling 35 MPH?

Part 3
    If the speed limit is 70 MPH in a different state, and you can 'get away with' 7 over or "almost 80", what is the maximum hwy speed limit in Ohio?

Answers:
    1)
    51 MPH: 51 feet reaction time + 130 feet braking distance =181 feet
    35 MPH: 35 feet reaction time + 56 feet braking distance = 91 feet

Answer: 90 feet longer - or 6 car lengths. So if that child chooses to step out into the crosswalk while you are 4 car-lengths FURTHER away than what would be normal safe braking distance at 35, they're dead.

And this is under dry conditions. This is because the distance required to stop the car increases as a square function of the speed. Darkness and rain both increase distance, darkness increases reaction time, rain or snow increase distance to 150% and 200% respectively.

2)
    In one second, the car doing 35 MPH travels 51 feet
    In one second, the car doing 51 MPH travels 75 feet
    Difference (loss of cushion space in 1 second) = 24 feet

If a truck pulls out in front of you with 20 feet (more than a car length) to spare at 35 MPH, then at 51 MPH, you're buried 4 feet deep in his bumper in the second it takes you to see and react.

3) Still 65 MPH. It doesn't matter what the &@%^ speed you could get away with in the other state. Do you get that the "gimme" 7 MPH from 70 to 77 with no ticket, increases your stopping distance from 315 to 373 feet - that a 10% increase in speed is an 18% increase in danger? That the forces unleased in an accident go up as the square of the speed, not linearly?

I am sorry, because I am sure you are a caring and intelligent person, just not exhibiting those qualities right now. Driving attitudes like yours seriously &!$$ me off. And not just because a speeding driver killed a friend of mine, a driver coincidentally doing about 50 MPH in town near midnight - mowed him over as he stepped out of a taxicab.

And I was a split second from death at the bumper of a driver who figured it was cool to speed in a 30 zone and came through blind intersection, at night on a rural road, when 'nobody's on the road anyway'. I was stopped at a stop sign - the only thing that saved me was I dropped something and paused for one extra second at the stop to pick it up. There was NO way in the world I could have seen or avoided that car . I could have pulled out with NO sight of any oncoming vehicle, and at the speed they were doing, they would have been on me and T-Boned me in the driver's door and I wouldnt have had a clue what hit me.

16. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

As someone who bikes everywhere and has given up his car, I have to agree with everything said there ^^. Trying to excuse a ticket (a third one, no less) is a sign that you may not understand the seriousness of what you're doing.

Damn, they'll just give licenses to anyone nowadays, eh?

17. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I can't believe people try to weasel out of things THEY ARE GUILTY FOR.

If you were speeding, pay the ticket. Don't waste the courts time, don't waste the cops time, don't waste your time. You are going to be forced to pay the ticket anyway, so just do it without being a huge pain in the ass. Hopefully the court revokes your license too. You don't deserve to be driving.

18. bartelby macrumors Core

If people contest tickets and lose, do they get extra fines for wasting everyone's time?

19. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I think you can sometimes be stuck with court costs, but those are like $30. I think that's it, though. Oh, and legal fees if they hired a lawyer.

20. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Did you get pulled over? Or was it like a static camera? Coz if it was a static camera then you weren't driving and you can't remember who was... However, if you got pulled over then there is no way to get out of it.

Edit: Also, CanadaRAM, while im not trying to sound like an ass, I'd like to know were you got those figures from. Because our Road guidelines here in the UK have not been updated since about 1960, and it far from takes the average family car here (Not your average family truck, admittedly) 181 feet to stop for 50 mile an hour, let alone almost 100 meet from 30. As I say not trying to sound like an ass but it just doesn't take that long.

Anyway, well done people, thanks for the lesson in the rights and wrongs of the world, its nice to see how you are all nice, law abiding citizens and, although he shouldn't have been speeding, Sideonecincy up there is the only one ever to have done it, or in-fact, anything wrong for that matter.

21. bartelby macrumors Core

They should scale the fines to how pathetic the attempt of weasling out of the ticket was.

22. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

When your car insurance hits $3000.00 plus per year maybe you'll finally get the message.

23. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Obedience is suicide fellahs

I'm always amazed how conservative and obedient contributors are.
    Every time someone does something a bit wrong the nasties just start crawling out. Christ! Aren't we hemmed in enough without their sanctimonious hollow mewling?

24. bartelby macrumors Core

No!
    It's just we think people should admit they were wrong and suffer the consequences when they're caught. Instead of trying to find a way out of it.