Speeding Tickets and Insurance

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by adk, Feb 18, 2007.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

DISCLAIMER: This is not going to be one of those "waaahhhh, I got a speeding ticket" threads.

I got a ticket for 17 over on the freeway yesterday. My question is how it relates to insurance. I've heard that insurance companies hold tickets, crashes, etc. against you for three years. Well, I wrecked my car in february of 04, and now I got a speeding ticket in february of 07. Technically the two events were over three years apart.

My question though, is do insurance companies count the date of conviction on the ticket (ie when you pay or go to court) or when it is actually issued? I'm going to have to try to delay the court date anyways (go to school out of state) so if I wait until say, late may to go and plead no contest, will it benefit my insurance more than if I just pay it?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I thought it was from date of incident not conviction. I could be wrong though and it may vary from state to state.

And thanks for not whining about your ticket...shows you're a true adult and you understand you did something wrong and you'll pay the price. I respect that.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This varies a lot, you should call your insurance agent. Presuming that the wreck was also a moving violation, you'll have that issue along with a claims history. Both can have a big impact on your rates. You can ask the agent if the previous claim and violation are still on your record, and how another ticket will affect what you pay. They should be able to quote you an exact figure, and tell you how long you will have to live with the higher rating.

Bottom line: you will probably want to opt for traffic school, if you are eligible.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I believe it is 3 years from when the insurance company puts the increase on your policy which only happens at renewal dates (normally every 6 months)

So for example about 6 years ago I got into a wreak about 3-4 days before the renewal date and the claim was filed before my insurance was renewed. But because how close it was to the renewal date it the increase did not make it on that one and was put on there 6 months later. I was paying an increase for 3 years after it was put on my policy (which was 3.5 years after my wreck)

Basically take 3 years from you new renewal date is how long it is going to be on there. In the end no matter what you will be paying the increase for 3 years. It just might not start for up to 6 months.

5. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

Well, I did some further research and I figured out that the crash happened on 2/5/04. I also got a "too fast for conditions" ticket but that was dismissed in court. The speeding ticket I got was yesterday, 2/17/07. I'm pretty sure my insurance company renews our policy on 2/25 and 8/25 or something around there. Basically, I'm hoping my crash goes away before they find out about the speeding ticket, leaving my premium about the same.

I'm a horrible driver, I know :(

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Are you gonna fight the ticket (ie go to court?) If you are, that'll delay the ticket since you are not yet convicted, atleast that works here in Ontario as far as I know.

And dont worry, I'm pretty sure my insurance is ALOT more than yours. :eek:

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

All depends on the state and how they report tickets and/or hand out demerit points.

Paying it and taking the points, would likely be worse than fighting it and trying for a better outcome, or even going to the time and expense of traffic school.

You are going to school, I don't think you want a reminder every 6 months for a few years that you could have spent a couple hundred and a day or two to eliminate the speed tax.

Look at all the beer you likely would be able to buy with that speed tax insurance money ...

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The last thing you want to do is call your insurance company and let them know.
    Let them find out first, then react.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I disagree. They will find out, one way or another, and they can tell you what you need to know, which in my book is much better than guessing or asking other people to help you guess. I also find that my local insurance agent is "on my side." He's in no hurry to raise my premium, and won't report me to the company if I call to ask a question.

If you have an insurance agent, call. Don't guess.

10. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Can you go to traffic school? When I got a speeding ticket I signed up for traffilc school and got the ticket dismissed (I think you're allowed one per year here in CA). Otherwise it's on your record for 3 years.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well the crash comes off. Now the ticket might not go on until 8/25 which means that it will be on there until 8/25/2010. You would get a 6 month break in your premuims. It all depends on how long it would take them to get the paper worth shove though.

12. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

::fingers crossed::

So you're sure they count the date of the citation and not the conviction? What would they have done then when I had my first wreck? I wrecked/got a ticket on 2/5/04, paid the new premium around 2/25/04, but then the ticket was dismissed 5/3/04. They can't legally hold something against me in my premiums if it was dismissed (ie not guilty), can they?

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Massachusetts is the worst, tickets stay on your record for 6 years.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I've always kept my mouth shut and never saw an increase.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, I don't know how it works in your state, but in these parts the insurance companies keep close track. They check your driving and claims record every time you come up for renewal. If you get tickets every so often, it may well be that you've never seen the lowest possible rates. You may think your rates are never increasing; but in reality they may never be going as low as they can, either.