Speeding up Bittorrent

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LastLine, Oct 27, 2006.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    Just a quick question - been using BT to download a Linux distribution and at home I get great bittorrent speeds, however at my house at uni I get slow speeds. It's my own connection at uni so I know there's no firewalls at the hardware end so has anyone got any suggestions how I can get things going quicker for me?
  2. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    i think it all depends on the amount of seeders?

less seeds, less download speed. more seeds, faster speeds.

also, if you are uploading while downloading, it may go slower as well.
  3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    Yeah, I know that sort of stuff. But the uni house is always slower which makes me think there might be something I can do to soup things up a bit :) lol Difference is I'm connecting through ethernet here at uni, and airport at home.
  4. bitabytex macrumors member

Oct 26, 2006
    Wait, you are using Bittorent on the university campus? If so, most universities block or slow down those ports needed for Bittorent.
  5. steebu macrumors member

Jul 28, 2005
    You might want to try a different client. I switched from Bittorrent to Transmission because I found BT to be too slow and it definately did the trick. Other good ones are Tomato Torrent and Azereus.
  6. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

Sep 11, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    i use transmission and it works great. It was actually faster at my uni until I ported it. Actually sometimes its still faster at my uni. Transmission with port forwarding is a good combo.
  7. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    Nah it's not my uni campus. It's my own house, and own internet connection.

I'll try Transmission to see.
  8. nightelf macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2003
    Bittorrent use a couple of ports that you need to open in your router.

Azureus will tell you if the ports are blocked.