Speeding up iMac G5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iShane, Jul 5, 2006.

1. iShane macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

My iMac G5 has been running a little slow lately and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to speed it up.

Thanks in Advance!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

how much ram do you have? how full is your hard drive? which iMac G5?

oh and what are you using it for primarily?

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Adding more RAM is a great way to speed up your Mac iShane. :)

4. osxnewbe macrumors regular

You should see an increase in performance by adding more RAM. I added 2 GB to my iMac G5 back in April and noticed a definite increase in speed afterwards...

5. iShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have 512 RAM. 30.9 GB is used. I believe it is the Rev A iMac G5. I primarily use it for web browsing, Adium/iChat/AIM, iTunes, Word, and email. Nothing like Photoshop.

6. iShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, so I did the thing about seeing if you need more RAM on the page that FF_Productions and here is a screenshot of what the results were.

I'm confused. :confused:

Attached Files:

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How long has your computer been turned on? Do you put it to sleep or turn it off? How many programs do you run at once?

8. iShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Umm. I just restarted it maybe 30 minutes ago. I usually just put it asleep. I usually run no more than 5 programs at once.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

512 MB more of RAM would help but there doesn't appear to be much of a dire need for it.

10. iShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright I'll try to find some. Thanks for all you guys help. :)

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

More RAM would most certainly help! Check out www.datamem.com for some great deals on RAM. :)

That, and make sure that you have processor performance set to "Highest" under "Energy Saver".

12. iShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link. Also I checked out Energy Saver and processor speed was on reduced so i turned it up to highest.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It was on Reduced? :rolleyes:

Yeah, the iMac G5 crawls at Reduced. Personally, the Highest setting is too loud since the fans spin up more often. I prefer Automatic.

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No problem. :)

That will really help out your iMac's performance! :)

15. Arnaud macrumors 6502

There's an awful "season's factor" with my iMac G5.
    It runs perfect in "Highest" all year long, with not so much interference from the fans, but for the summer, when it is too warm in the house and the fans get really annoying. And I can't really stand the "automatic" setting, not even mentioning "reduced" !

512Mb should help, too.

16. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I am looking to speed up my 20" iMac G5. I have maxed out the RAM at 2gb but my 250gb HD is about full. Will buying an external hard drive to free up some space improve my computers performance? I mostly use it for my graphic design work w/ CS3 suite and also my photography using RAW images. I need to make this computer last me at least a few more years, any advice?

Any hard drive recommendations? I want something compatible with the Airpot Extreme for backups.

17. MTI macrumors 65816

Increasing ram available to the software and using drives with higher rotational speeds are classic was of improving performance.

More available ram mean less of a bottleneck in data being written and read to hard drive based "virtual memory" which is one of the slowest forms of data transfer inside the computer. Adding ram also replaces the memory that some graphics processing units share with the system. A faster hard drive is self explanatory.