Speeding up Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by s e y t o n, Feb 27, 2007.

1. s e y t o n macrumors newbie

hey everybody sorry if this is a repost but i came across this link while searching google. but when i clicked on the forum to discuss further, the most recent post is 4 years old. so my question is, will these techniques speed up office 2004?

http://www.osxfaq.com/dailytips/10-2002/10-28.ws

QUOTE:

Today's tips are about Microsoft Word, so if you use another word mangler, I'm afraid you won't find it very useful.

It all began when I installed Office on a new PowerBook. Everything worked fine but Word seemed VERY slow to me. Scrolling was painfully slow and every so often the beachball of death would appear for a few seconds, seemingly while Word caught its breath.

Then I remembered that I had tweaked Word several different ways to make it run faster on my desktop machine. Which got me thinking about today's tip.

Which is: You can make Microsoft Word run significantly faster by doing any or all of the following:

1. Disable Live Word Count (Preferences: View)
    2. Disable Quartz Text Smoothing (Preferences: General)
    3. Disable WYSIWYG font and style menus (Preferences: General)

All three improve performance but I can't say how much you'll get from each one, so try them all in different combinations. If you've been irritated by Word running sluggishly, this may be just what the doctor ordered. Enjoy.

To discuss this tip (or anything you like) in Dr. Mac's OSXFAQ Forum, click here:
    http://forums.osxfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=3272

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

What kind of machine are you installing this on? Most of the current slowness can be attributed to the fact that Office is not yet Universal, and so Intel machines must run it under Rosetta (read: emulation). Once MS releases a Universal version it will be much speedier.

3. s e y t o n thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry i failed to mention, i have a macbook with these specs.

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
    1.25GB RAM
    Super Drive
    80GB Hard Drive

i am aware of the rosetta issue, but i was wondering if these tips would still work.. or is it hopeless?

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I guess the only advice I can give is to give it a try and see. If you don't notice an improvement, change it back. Seems simple enough to try.