Speeding up my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by omeletpants, Dec 30, 2006.

1. omeletpants macrumors regular

Anyone have any suggestions on speeding up my mac and web browsing? Do removing fonts or languages help? If, so what is the safest way to do this?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What Web Browser...

Find A faster ISP?
    Get More RaM?

3. brandon6684 Guest

Yeah, I think you'll need to be a bit more specific, like what web browser, what is actually slow, and any bottlenecks on the system(RAM, CPU, internet connection).

4. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

I have a G5 PowerPC, 2 GHz, with 1 GB ram and Camino. No ram issues and 5mb download on DSL.

5. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I find Camino to be kind of crappy. Firefox is lightening for me, and so is Safari. I just like the extensions feature of Firefox.

I have a G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz, so if it's fast for me, it'll be blazing for you.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

agreed..safari is slightly faster iThink...or is it jst simpler...?

7. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

I definatly fee lthat safari is faster than camino. I used camino for amny long months and than asked myself "Why not safari?" Tried it and i notivced a significant speed difference and have been using it since.

8. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

9. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

don't use onyx it is a highly invasive utility that runs at way to high a cpu% and requires you to launch each time. I used to love it, now it's like a dirty ex, you don't want to hear anybody suggesting that someone else use it! I would suggest you get MainMenu, which has more options and runs in the menubar with a great drop down window.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The guy is after faster browsing. Wouldnt emptying the cache slow things down? :confused: I see this alot and still dont understand. The cache is there so pages load faster right?

11. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

i believe that more ram is the best way to make your mac faster

12. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Definately check out a different browser, Camino is a bit out dated

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Safari is faster than Camino. End of story. Try using Safari, and you will be better off. Removing fonts and languages wont help.

14. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I haven't used Camino for a while, but last I knew it was very generically compiled.

When I was using it, I found that getting an optimized build (G4 or G5 specific) made for a significantly faster experience -- you might want to see if they are still available.

15. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. I was just at an Apple store yesterday at the Genius Bar. He said that Camino was the fastest browser for Mac

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i would classify alot of members here as apple experts! as far as browsers go, just mess with them a while and pick the one you like best