Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Well I made the jump from windows to Mac today!!!
Went and purchased a mini mac and so far it's been great!!!! BUT :confused:

How do I get to get my alcatel Speedtocuh usb modem to work??? it's conected to the BT Yahoo{Engalnd} system and it keeps flashing red to me in the left LED ?????

I was told by BT that there is no driver for 10.4 BUT there was for 10.3 ????? I can't find it and I'm stuck.....can anyone post a link or offer any advice???

Also anyone got any pointers??? or good things to download{when I finally get online that is!!!}

Neale

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2005
Speedtouch - wasn't ever really supported

The best way forward is to pick up a router with Adsl modem built in.

I swapped to a powerbook from Windows in January.

I picked up a newNetgear DG834G off Amazon. It's pretty inexpensived (all things considered) circa £80. Plugs straight into your BT ADSL socket, has 4 ethernet ports and also does wireless if you have airport extreme in your Mac Mini. You configure it using safari.

Absolutely excellent - better than the Speedtouch - faster

Neale

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Congrats!

I can offer little assistance, I'm afraid: I have no experience with the internet service you describe: I do know what you are talking about though: I lived in LOndon for four months :D .

I find it odd that you have to use USB for your connection! Is there a way to use ethernet instead? The Mac Mini may work immediately without the drivers if that was the case. Your modem should have an ethernet cable port. Do you have a cable at hand to experiment with?

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Morg_NZ said:

How do I get to get my alcatel Speedtocuh usb modem to work??? it's conected to the BT Yahoo{Engalnd} system and it keeps flashing red to me in the left LED ?????

I was told by BT that there is no driver for 10.4 BUT there was for 10.3 ????? I can't find it and I'm stuck.....can anyone post a link or offer any advice???

Also anyone got any pointers??? or good things to download{when I finally get online that is!!!}
i've got the same one and it's Ok but not fantastic. The left flashing light means that there is no power for the modem. You're not using the very cheap BT deal are you? That doesn't support Macs.
Try here I think the one you want is the second one down (6MB download)
EDIT; whoops sorry I meant the second one under Speedtouch 330 - that is the one you're using right? Also make sure it's plugged directly into a USB port and not through a hub, even a powered one.

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Nickygoat said:
i've got the same one and it's Ok but not fantastic. The left flashing light means that there is no power for the modem. You're not using the very cheap BT deal are you? That doesn't support Macs.
Try here I think the one you want is the second one down (6MB download)
EDIT; whoops sorry I meant the second one under Speedtouch 330 - that is the one you're using right? Also make sure it's plugged directly into a USB port and not through a hub, even a powered one.

Thats my modem...........will that driver work with 10.3 ??????

Any thing that I need to do when downloading on a PC and then opening it on a Mac??

Sorry for the rather dump post but I'm flying blind here......on a PC I can do almost everything.......on a Mac!!!! I'M SCREWED :confused:

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Morg_NZ said:
Thats my modem...........will that driver work with 10.3 ??????

Any thing that I need to do when downloading on a PC and then opening it on a Mac??

Sorry for the rather dump post but I'm flying blind here......on a PC I can do almost everything.......on a Mac!!!! I'M SCREWED :confused:
Yeah that works on Panther. I don't have Tiger yet so I don't know if it'll work. Nothing else you need to do - apart from transferring it to your mac :p . Open the installer and run it (the open box thing) and drag it your apps folder. If it works the red light will go a solid green. Depending on how long you've had DSL the light on the right will go solid green if you're synchronised. It'll flash if you're not. But I'm assuming that you're online with this modem on your PC, right?
Have you set up your connection under internet connect? That's next.
Ant more probs just holler

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Nickygoat said:
Yeah that works on Panther. I don't have Tiger yet so I don't know if it'll work. Nothing else you need to do - apart from transferring it to your mac :p . Open the installer and run it (the open box thing) and drag it your apps folder. If it works the red light will go a solid green. Depending on how long you've had DSL the light on the right will go solid green if you're synchronised. It'll flash if you're not. But I'm assuming that you're online with this modem on your PC, right?
Have you set up your connection under internet connect? That's next.
Ant more probs just holler

EH THIS IS BEING POSTED FROM MY OL pc !!!!!, i'll see if i can't get it going......gotta say bt are crap at mac support

Morg_NZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Balin64 said:
I can offer little assistance, I'm afraid: I have no experience with the internet service you describe: I do know what you are talking about though: I lived in LOndon for four months :D .

I find it odd that you have to use USB for your connection! Is there a way to use ethernet instead? The Mac Mini may work immediately without the drivers if that was the case. Your modem should have an ethernet cable port. Do you have a cable at hand to experiment with?

Speed touch is an external USB broadband modem......... It worked well whilst I was on a PC but gotta learn some ways or skills at getting it on line with a MAC now

Applespider

macrumors G4
Best advice I can give you is to dump the USB Speedtouch modem and get a decent ADSL ethernet modem (you can pick them up for £30-£50 these days) and I assure you that you'll get an infinitely better broadband experience with it.

I had a Speedtouch when I first got my Mac. Although I eventually got it working (10.3.3), it caused havoc when my Powerbook went to sleep without it officially disconnecting and made my Powerbook kernal panic on numerous occasions. I survived 6 weeks and then got my current ethernet ADSL modem. Now 'always on' really is, there's no 'connection period' to wait for and the Mac hasn't panicked since.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Yes USB modems and Macs dont go well together.....I dont think anyone uses them at all. As others have suggested get an ethernet router. netgear seems very popular. i dont know how easy they are to set up though.

This is where switching to a Mac is going to trip many switchers up... most PC users probably have USB modems which arent great with Macs... the alternative is a router - setting one up up is probably pretty scarey and possibly very problematic if youve never used a Mac before.

Applespider

macrumors G4
MacSA said:
This is where switching to a Mac is going to trip many switchers up... most PC users probably have USB modems which arent great with Macs... the alternative is a router - setting one up up is probably pretty scarey and possibly very problematic if youve never used a Mac before.

Yes, the additional expense of getting an ethernet modem over the 'free' ADSL USB modem may put a few people off. But I think it's more the lack of support and instructions on what to do next that might scare people. Actually doing it is pretty easy so long as the router/modem has a web-based interface. For that reason, if a prospective new Mac owner lives in a cable-area, I send them in that direction since the cable modems are all ethernet and come with reasonable Mac instructions.

I was most impressed with Mum's. She was given a CD with lists of instructions and stickers over various ports on the modem warning her not to remove them until she'd installed her drivers as per the instructions. She picked up the instructions and flicked through several pages and diagrams of Windows driver installation. When she got the Mac page, I told her to read it out to me; it had 2 steps. Remove stickers, plug in. :)

kewpid

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2003
I have used the Speedtouch USB in Panther without any problems. First you need to download and install its drivers. Then set it up like a regular dialup modem in the Internet Connect app. For the phone number just put a '0', fill in your login details, hit connect, and it should all work.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Morg_NZ said:

I know you don't want to hear this, but I had the same modem when I switched from Windows to Mac some time ago. I eventually got it working under Jaguar at that time, but the connection was not 100% reliable. I really would not try and get the thing working it is not worth the effort. Just get a ADSL router / modem and you will never look back. They are not that expensive and you can also pick up one with Wireless capability as well.

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
Another vote for an Ethernet based DSL modem. They don't need any drivers and are platform independent.

Using a USB modem is just asking for trouble. I don't even understand why they bother making them.

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
I've got one of those Alcatel 330 USB modems at home and it's... well... not the greatest. Once you're connected it's fine, but 90% of the time it wll gives kernel panic if you unplug it, or try and connect too soon after waking from sleep.

Don't know if it "works" with Tiger yet - home Mac is still on Panther, whereas I'm enjoying Tiger with a nice fast uni connection :)

enoch

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
speedtouch causing kernal crash

Hi - just want to add my voice to this. I had a speedtouch for a few weeks, and it caused many kernal crashes when waking from sleep. I have also seen it used on a windows 98 machine, where it had similar effects.

Say what you want about 98, but I would never recommend using the speedtouch unless you really have to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.