Spell Check Transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macguysoft, Feb 16, 2007.

1. macguysoft macrumors member

I have a friend who owns a Mac Performa 640/180 which is about 8 years old. He uses Claris Works on that mac and wishes to transfer his 6,000 scientific words to the new intel mac. Is there a directory for these words on the old macintosh? If so, can it be used on the new macs?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

2. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Since ClarisWorks is a Classic application, it won't run on an Intel Mac. And the user dictionary from any version of ClarisWorks or AppleWorks 5 won't work with AppleWorks 6. It is possible to export the user dictionary from ClarisWorks as a text file & import it into the AppleWorks 6 user dictionary but the AppleWorks 6 user dictionary has a limit of 2883 words. You can create more than one user dictionary, but it would be a pain to have to switch between them each time you wanted to check spelling.

3. macguysoft thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the insightful comments. Does the same apply to iWork though? if so, I'll probably recommend that to him.

4. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I think Pages is a terrific application & I use it for almost all of my word processing & DTP. I still use AppleWorks for the things that iWork doesn't - mostly database & spreadsheet. Pages can open AppleWorks 6 word processing files, but no other version of ClarisWorks or AppleWorks files.

Pages uses the OS X spelling file located in HD > Users > [user account] > Library > Spelling. It can be opened in TextEdit & edited, but it's not easy. Each word is separated by a unicode character & I'm not sure which one it is. You could change the space between each word in the exported text file with this character & then copy & paste the content of the text file into the spelling file & save it. I would definitely work on a copy of the file.