Spell checking in Firefox 1.5.0.1 available

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mitthrawnuruodo, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

When Firefox was updated to 1.5.0.1 it broke the installation of SpellBound 0.7.3 and since there's still no update from SpellBound my (and I presume other's) spelling has been suffering.

I finally broke and googled a bit around to see if there wasn't any solutions, and I found much more than I hoped for: The Developer version of SpellBound, which you can get from MozillaZine Forums not only seem to work flawlessly with FF 1.5.0.1, but also supports spell checking as you type...:D

I actually just installed the new one, and then uninstalled the old one before restarting FF. On first restart of FF, the new SpellBound will do some serious maintenance, like removing the old separate dictionary libraries and reinstalling those languages, but once it's up and running again everything seems just fine...

Happy day(s)!

2. mcmillan macrumors 6502

This is what I do for spell checking:
    I installed the Google bar and enabled spell checking. But of course, the whole Google bar is just useless just for spell checking, so I right clicked it and selected "Customize." Fortunately, The bar lets you drag all the icons back to the customize window. So I just left the spell checking one and dragged it to the main toolbar. Then I right clicked the main tool bar and unchecked "Google toolbar." So I'm using Google's spell checking without having the Google toolbar. It's very convenient.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, but I don't think Google toolbar supports all the different languages that SpellBound does, doesn't it? I've installed English, US English, Norwegian Bokmål and Norwegian Nynorsk. Can you do that with Google toolbar?

Also, the new spell checking as you type is very good, almost up to the Mac OS X built in feature... :)

And the Google toolbar was extremely annoying, and took up space in the toolbars area even when you dragged all features (except spelling) off it... ;)

4. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Yeah, Google will even automatically detect when you type in a different language, and ask you if you want to change the setting. I don't know what variety of languages they support, but I've successfully used English and Spanish.

Well you beat me with that spelling as you type.

I don't know if I made my instructions very clear, but after the spell checking button is left alone, you can drag it to the navigation toolbar (where the back button, the search field, etc. are located). After that, the Google bar will be empty, but you can right click it and un-check "Google toolbar" which will hide it.

Probably not as good as Spellbound, but I'm very used to it. Still, I'll probably try it out, thanks for the tip, I love Firefox.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, I didn't see Norwegian back when I tried it. On the other hand Mac OS X doesn't support Norwegian, either, after upgrading to Tiger :mad: making SpellBound even more to my liking... :)

And I don't like any clutter in my FF toolbars, I've reduced the size as much as I could already... ;)

Picture 2.png
    (Click for larger)