Spelling Errors! Its LOSE not LOOSE

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Music_Producer, Oct 10, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

I'm generally not anal, but there seems to be a shocking rise in posts that have atrocious spelling errors. I understand when someone makes a typo.. or tries to spell something really hard.. but basic mistakes? Come on! E.g.

"I don't want to loose my job"

What? Is your job tight? Its LOSE.. not LOOSE! LOOSE is the opposite of tight. The correct term is "I don't want to lose my job" I find this mistake almost everywhere.. including front pages of prominent web sites and/or magazines. Its almost as if the dictionary is going to be re-written to include this term for "Loss/Lose"

Next one is .. "Its there cat.. they can do what they want".. its THEIR.. not THERE. Or "Their going to come tomorrow".. its.. um.. "They're or They are"

The funniest one I've seen is "I was not aloud to go in there" ALOUD?!!!! Its allowed. lol. Another one was "I'm so board today"

Anyone else find this surprising?

2. macrumors regular

It irks me too. the next time i read lose instead of loose. i will loose it.

3. macrumors 6502

It's = Contraction of "It" and "is"
    Its = possessive, example: The dog's tail is wagging. Its tail is wagging.

To answer your question; no, I don't find it surprising.

4. Moderator emeritus

Thank you. I'm glad I didn't make any corrections today. :D

5. macrumors G4

Chundles

Words Americans can't spell:

- Definitely
    - Ridiculous
    - The correct form of "lose/loose"
    Ooooh, this is going to get letters...

Don't worry about the British English v. American English spellings, they don't count. It's the above three that really get my goat.

6. macrumors 6502

No problem. I'm in "one of those moods" today, so...
    I wouldn't mind becoming your Deputy of sorts, really :rolleyes:

7. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've been absolutely astounded in the past by proper printed signs, documentation etc. containing obvious grammatical or spelling errors. A while ago, as we were coming into autumn, a local garden centre had a sign saying something like "get your autum plants here" in big bold letters.

Some fortunately notice their mistakes, I've mentioned in the past about a local motel with a "studio s available" sign out the front - you can clearly see that they've removed the apostrophe from "studio's" :p

8. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

These threads are always a sign that Apple has gone too long without a new product...

9. macrumors 6502a

You've picked out my worst offender – 'ridiculous'. In fact, that's the first time I've seen it spelt correctly!

It's always 'rediculous' or some other bastardised version! :eek:

I must admit to messing up that one... :eek:

10. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Agreed, we need some real news ASAP... people on this forum come from all over the world, I personally come from a country with 9 official languages, I admit I do a bangup job of screwing up the 2 I know, cmon people dont LOSE it over a few spelling mistakes :D :cool: ...

11. macrumors 6502a

dops7107

"Breathe" vs "breath". I reckon a good 50% don't know the difference and is my favourite bugbear.

12. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Nine? :eek:

It's bad enough having three here (although I only acknowledge the existence of two of them :p)

13. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

14. macrumors 6502

Everyone makes mistakes, don't sweat it. :cool:

I just thought it deserved some mention, considering the nature of the first post.

15. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

:eek:!

Seriously, our third official language is... wait for it... sign language :rolleyes:

16. macrumors 6502

I get really irritated by people using "Your" instead of "You're"

17. Moderator emeritus

You're extremely convincing. Even a blind man can see that. :p

On the local t.v. news, I've become accustomed to the reporters saying "There's been some problems." or something like that where they should have used a plural form. Equally the less/fewer (singular/plural) thing bothers me. I suppose it happens outside the U.S.A. but it certainly seems as though there are a lot of imprecise people out there.

18. macrumors newbie

As long as I can read it and get the message then I don't really care much. I find that people that pick out spelling mistakes on a forum (unless it is completely unintelligible) have far to much time and don't leave a life that is remotely full enough.

I would stop worrying about it and do something remotely more productive that starting threads about it, and if you do feel the need to pull people up on it, why not do it in a nice way instead of telling them how annoying they are.

Just my opinion on the matter.

19. macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

For whatever reason my eye is drawn to typos/poor grammar in most things I read: forums, advertisements, magazines, etc. I'm not really sure why, but it seems to jump out at me, and thus can be distracting. Unless I'm in a particularly snarky mood, though, I generally won't point it out to the OP. I hesitate to start those kind of comments for fear of detracting from the ultimate point of MR, which is to have interesting discussions and/or get/give help from the community.

So yes, it is annoying, and I have a hard time ignoring it, but I try not to get too wrapped up in it. Participating in forums on macbidouille.com in my average French helps me have more patience, since many of our members here do not speak English as their native language, and I understand how easy it is to make mistakes in that situation.

Honestly, I get much more annoyed by people who write in 'text-speak' than I do with the occasional loose/lose you're/your its/it's board/bored mistake.

20. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Really, you just make it too easy for us. :D

21. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I know, it's a serious problem :(

22. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I think a lot of the erroneous grammar arises from the environment we frequent; sometimes it is much easier and quicker to miss out an apostrophe but still get you're :D message across.

The spelling errors are something different and cannot really be excused.

BTW: There was a lot of 'control + command + d' happening in this post so I didn't make a complete tit of myself. I am usually very good at spelling I guess I'm just getting lazy. :D

23. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Same here, it might contribute to the decay of the quality of the respective language (english in this case) but as long as I understand what is being said I wont say a thing.

Are you serious? Im to lazy to google right now, but I just hope that my government doesnt hear of it, we might just end up with a 10th language!

24. macrumors 6502

Almost tempted to drive up to Sheffield just to give you a smack round the head ;) :D

25. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Your more than welcome to. :D

EDIT: Ooh heres one for you. Should the 'to' at the end of my post be 'to' or 'too'?