Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Orbotix has announced Version 2.0 of its robotic iOS-controlled ball Sphero. The upgraded Sphero is reportedly twice as fast -- capable of rolling at 7 feet per second -- and three times as bright, with more LEDs and colors.

The device also includes two ramps in the box for greater trickery, as well as an optional 'Nubby' cover ($15) for outdoor use.

The first Sphero was originally released back in 2011, and more than 25 different apps have been released to interact with the device.

Sphero 2.0 is available for pre-order for $130.

Article Link: Sphero Version 2.0 Announced: Twice as Fast, Three Times as Bright

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Simply the most dramatic "toy" commercial I've ever seen. I was laughing the whole time and awaiting the ninja sword to come out and slice it in two.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Why would someone spend money on a toy for mere novelty and entertainment?

I'll let you know after I get one :) Eventually. It's on my radar.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
At first glance, it's easy to ask "What is this thing good for?", but after you think about it for a while... it's no different than remote-controlled cars, plains, trains... it's a real-life video game, if you will. Imagine setting up challenge courses and multiple people racing their Spheros around the course. It could get seriously fun!

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
They should totally add explosives and militarize this...

edit: course, soldiers would probably end up playing with them

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
I'm glad I can't afford one. It's one of those things you impulse buy then put in your garage after a week and never play with again.

I can't decide if the drama in the ad is tongue-in-cheek or not.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
What an awful video.

Normal speed, slow motion, normal speed, slow motion, repeat ten times.

Wobble bass.

Over-the-top melodrama action movie music blasting.

Bleh.

Looks like a cat toy to me, too. But if it were only $50 and sold at pet supply stores, I'd get one for my bored cats. They haven't really cared for the remote controlled mouse because it's too noisy. I wonder how much noise this thing makes. Probably lots, which is why the soundtrack is so damned loud.

----------

This is the kind of thing that needs physical tactile controls, not a touch screen you have to keep looking at to make sure your fingers haven't drifted out of place.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
This is the kind of thing that needs physical tactile controls, not a touch screen you have to keep looking at to make sure your fingers haven't drifted out of place.

Hopefully they will support iOS physical game controls when the hardware is out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.