Spiderman 2 (some not all spoilers inside)

Discussion in 'Community' started by mikeyredk, Jun 30, 2004.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

my thoughts the movie was so-so. I will put up some highlights they will be in white. As to be expected the the sequel cannot live up to the original.
    Though out the movie we do not see two consecutive scenes of non-action (double neg?).

Peter is out of work just fired from his job as a pizza delivery guy. His grades in school have been dropping like a rock. His mother's house is being foreclosed upon and worst of all he is losing his superpowers (mainly due to stress).

Doc oct. creates his arms as a byproduct for his main invention a self sustaining fusion reactor. The reactor explodes kill Oct.'s wife leaving him miserable and he vows to rebuild the reactor bigger and better. The green goblins son (name eludes me) wants revenge for his fathers death.

In between the major action we see the love plot of MJ and peter, not strong it is there. At this time we also see peter quit being spiderman for a more reliable life style. we see the change in him and the city. a further bit later we find out that MJ is seeing someone else (the son of the obnoxious editor) and decides to marry him. This puts peter into a depression he loses control of his powers for sometime. Until, we see a classic moving back to the roots, with his mother being evicted at this time he goes to see her and with her advice we see him going back to becoming spiderman. The next day peter is sitting down with MJ and tells her again that he does not love her all of the sudden Doc oct. comes by and kidnaps MJ and challenges peter to find Spiderman.

there are two more fight scenes after this, one is on a NYC subway (elevated tracks), the other in an abandoned warehouse on one of the rivers. I don't want to give it all away

P.S Chance of spiderman 3 very likely
    oh don't butcher me on my grammar I didn't look it over before I hit the submit key.

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I just got back from it. Was it just me, or were the special effects really lacking in this film? I assume that they ran out of time or money, but I wasn't impressed at all.

P-Worm

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Fantastic, wonderful, awesome movie. There is no such thing as perfect but holy crap this was up there. The storytelling was wonderful. I loved the first one but this one clearly surpasses it, IMO.

mikeyredk,
    IIRC there are planned to be at least 2 more Spider-Man movies before '07. And possibly more after that if they do well enough.

Lethal

4. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

My friend just sent me this link, I thought you guys would enjoy it.

Spider-lego-man

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Pretty funny - amazing what they can do with Legos and a whole lot of spare time!

And, FWIW, I prefered this movie to the original. I never thought the Green Goblin was much of a villian; I prefer the multi-dimentional portrayal of this movie's villian. I like a couple of the twists and reveals at the end, though not the one that says "hey, here's the plot to Spidey 3" so blatantly.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

As to your first paragraph, that seems to be consistently what I hear...I might have to drag myself out to see it...usually I stay away from the "popcorn" blockbuster fare...

As to your second statement, it was my impression that the next one was not due to be released until 2007. I could be wrong though, I often am...but it makes some sense...2002...2004...2006/7...FWIW

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Amazing! And funny too!

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

About the release dates you are correct. I need to lay off the crack. :) The next Spidey is due out in '07.

I would definetly check it out. There is some seriously good storytelling going on here.

Lethal

9. Mr Poop E Pantz macrumors member

I'll toss in my opinion and say this was better than the first, and I really liked that one. Action, romance, comedy and its a super hero movie that doen't suck, and there have been plenty of those. Its worth the price of admission, and leaves you waiting for part three in 2006/7. The lego parody is pretty impressive as well.

10. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

11. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

i read an interview with tobey macguire (that's spider man right?) and he was saying he is quite willing to do the third movie, but would hesitate at anything more. if the script blew him away, he might consider doing more movies, he said.
    I really want a movie with venom and carnage, i think that would be super crazy, or at least just venom. imagine the CG in that one....
    sam rami has said he doesn't like the character of venom though... who's he gonna use then?! mysterio with the fish bowl head?!

12. Mr Poop E Pantz macrumors member

Next up could/should be the Green Goblin again, this time Harry instead of Norman. The movie going audience may not respond too well to the same villan agian, but it's pretty likely. Could use the Lizard, as doctor Conners is set up well now, as is Man Wolf. I just hope they don't pull any of the stuff batman did and start using multiple villans. Those movies went down hill fast.

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I have my doubts (also?) about how good a 3rd spiderman could be...

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Man Wolf! I knew that doctor in the tye-dye shirt had a familiar look to him! :) There is a bevy of villians for the writers to choose from, but I'd really like to see Venom/Carnage!! I'm thinking Venom would be in the fourth movie, the third now is going to have pretty good draw at the box office, and they will probably avoid "jumping the shark" as it were until the revenues start to look soft.

I personaly thought this sequel was better than the first. It looked like Mr. Rami took a page from his Army of Darkeness days for the operating room scene, and the shots had a more "comic book" quailty this time around. I didn't particularly like all the 'idenity revealing' in the movie, but I guess it's just a personal preference.

15. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

who was the little asian girl who saved spiderman in the burning building?

16. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I agree.....at least with the venom part......it may be too much to include venom and carnage. I'd also like to see Apocalypse and Sinister in the (hopefully) upcoming X-Men movies.

17. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Overall, a good synopsis of the plot of the movie, except...
    May Parker is not Peter Parker's mother, but his aunt.

Overall, I liked it, but, as you said there was a lot of things happening, with the main bad guy, and the son of the first dead bad guy, and with MJ Watson going from the son of the first dead bad guy to the astronaut son of the boss. Pretty hard to wrap all of that up into one movie, but if you think about it, life doesn't have one thread to it, so I think that is what this movie was trying to show, that its not just Spidey fighting one bad guy, and everything else is on hold.

I think that with John Jameson making an appearance, its set up the opening for a Venom vs Spiderman movie. Some have said that the character of Eddie Brock (the Venom human host) had already been introduced/shown in the 1st movie, but I think the perfect actor for Eddie Brock would be Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith of "The Matrix").

I could see it now, just before the final fight scene, Venom/Hugo Weaving says "Hello Mr Ander... erm...Parker, nice of you to join us. We missed you." :p :p :D

18. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

could omeone explain who carnage is i havent really known much about spideran since i was 10 and the cartoon was on tv.

19. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

That would be Hob Goblin not Green Goblin.

20. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Aye, Harry is the Hob Goblin, and he a villian in the next one, the movie is sets it up (no surprise don't worry).

I think Venom is the coolest character, but, it's a long story to explain the existence of symbiote suits, and how they effect people. Wasn't Spidey once controlled by Venom? or was that Carnage?

I don't know anymore, its been too long since I used to read comic books.

Anyway, Venom is my favorite Comic Book character of all time, he deserves his own movie.

21. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but the nice thing about Marvel comics was that there was the idea of tag-teaming the superhero.

22. Mr Poop E Pantz macrumors member

Some of us need to do some research. Harry is the 2nd Green Goblin. The Hob Goblin is something else entirely, and hopefully won't be showing up in the movie.

23. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Now normally I'm really good at suspending disbelief and saying "Ok its just a movie" and certainly the science in Spiderman needs a bit of that (ok if its those neat little spider hairs that let him cling to walls, whats witht the gloves on his hands, hmmm?) but the end of this one takes the cake (speaking of cake anyone else notice that the neighbor girl offers him chocolate cake and in the next scene they are eating white cake with chocolate frosting?). Ok, assuming that Doc Oc's fusion reaction is just like he says, a very small sun, that makes it plasma, and i'm sorry but dumping a ball of super hot plasma in the East River should create just a little bit (ok big @$$ explosion) of steam. It wouldn't have been hard to write that in.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

A person bitten by a "super-spider" gains super-human, spider-like abilites and you accept that. A guy has 4 "smart" arms/tenticles fused to his body, corrupt his mind and you accept that. The guy, soon to have the addtional arms, builds a fusion reactor that creates a small sun in a buliding in downtown NYC and you accept that. The guy, now w/the additional arms, builds *another*, bigger fusion reactor that generates a small sun in a run down building under everyone's nose and you accept that. But the fact that it gets dumped into the river and goes "fiz" rather than "bang" just bothers your rational side to no end? :confused: :p

The biggest rational lapse in the movie is what doe MJ see in Parker. :)

Lethal

25. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

breaking the machine would stop the fusion reaction, it needs to be confined to work properly .... thats why he needed the arm, but then it shouldn't keep going

I liked it tho, I mean he used real elements invovled in fusion, tritium, a radioative isotope of hydrogen if i'm not mistaken.