SpiderMan 3: Venom and Sandman

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by saunders45, Sep 27, 2005.

1. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That's cool will be looking forward to the trailer. Have enjoyed the first two.

3. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Cool and a bit strange - especially since they've gone through great lengths to include other Spidey potential bad-guys: Dr. Curt Connor (Lizard) as Peter Parker's professor, Harry Osborn (Hobgoblin) discovering dear old dad's Green Goblin stash, Miss Brant (who I believe also has a criminal alter-ego), and John Jameson (doesn't he eventually become a bad-guy?).

Oh well - since Venom was supremely popular in the 1990s, it doesn't surprise me that its in the movie. Makes me wonder if there will be a Spider-Man 4, though, since apparently the Harry Osborn and Curt Connor arcs don't seem to be being explored. It will also be interesting to see which origin story they use for Venom, but that's a whole 'nother topic...

4. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Interesting... hopefully it will turn out well. I've always thought that the nice guys always make the best villains, so hopefully Topher Grace will be a good venom. I'm looking forward to it.

5. Raidersmojo macrumors regular

this is a disgrace, topher grace as venom? the guys a panzy

eddie brock was 6'4 260 the guy was huge blonde hair and blue eyed. topher is what.....5'8 and maybe 100 pounds?

ruined

6. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Harry Osborn was never the Hobgoblin (although several other guys donned that costume). He was merely the reincarnated Green Goblin.

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Good question. Up to this point, the villains have been created very similarly (though not identically) to how they were in the books. I don't see a Secret Wars interlude in Spider-Man 3.... :)

8. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Awesome...I'm glad they will have Venom in this one. These have been very enjoyable movies so far.

Now we just need Apocalypse as the main villain in the next X-Men movie and I'll be happy.

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Let's pray it doesn't get all cartoony and ridiculous like it did in Batman Returns with the Penguin and Catwoman.

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

What I'm hoping for is maybe a thread in the movie showing Harry really struggling against the goblin pull....and maybe have a bit more explanation at the end of the movie if he's going to become the goblin. It would be more true to the characters, to see Harry's internal struggle, especially if spidey is fighting evil and harry knows that, but he's still being called to avenge his father.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Heard of this about a month ago, but it was all rumors back then. Guess this confirms it.

Depends what version. You're referring to the Amazing Spider-Man comic/cartoon version. The Ultimate Spider-Man version was a smaller guy like Peter Parker.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Again, depends on the version. Harry was not the Hobgoblin in the comic books. He was not the Hobgoblin in the animated series. You are correct there.

However, in the Ultimate Spider-Man comic series, Harry Osborn was the Hobgoblin.

Since the Green Goblin and Hobgoblin in USM are mutated monsters instead of guys with a costome, they really should have made Harry the Green Goblin II.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, the Batman series took a real dive until Batman Begins got it back on track..

This one should be "interesting" if nothing else... I'll reserve judgment until I see it. Or at least see a trailer. ;)

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

agreed. :)

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

She might have it backwards. Topher = Sandman, Hayden = Venom. Maybe one (or both) are simply bit characters and the real villan is something else. Like, behind the scenes. If it's anything like the last one, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. If they blow through the whole Venom thing... well, I probably won't care as much as most of you. But I might not enjoy it as much.

16. jaysmith macrumors regular

that would make much more sense to me.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Of course now it won't happen. Stoopid Kiki. Or is she... ;)

18. mus0r macrumors regular

I made an oath not to see any Spider-man movie until Venom appeared. Why? Because Spidey is a sissy and Venom was a million times more interesting.

However...Topher Grace? :eek: :confused: :(

EDIT: Yeah I read it and it's Church playing Venom, which I really approve of...that guy's a prick lol

19. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I remember reading in Empire Magazine that Columbia, or whoever the studio is that is producing the spider-man films, signed on for Spiderman 2 + 3 after seeing the receipts for Spider-man 1, and after Spiderman 2, they signed on for 4, 5 and 6!! I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate...!

20. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Would be quite a coup if it were - though I wonder if they'll keep Toby, Kirsten et. al through the whole series if it happens... Typecasting is a dangerous thing - even today when I see Elijah Wood or Orlando Bloom in other movies, I think, "Hey, look, it's Frodo in another movie!" or "Hey, wow, Legolas is really prolific."

21. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

there is only one spider man series, the amazing spider man. everything else is trash, the ultimate spider man does not count as a series, it is a copy (and debasement) of stan lee's work.

22. Must.Get.nano! macrumors regular

Must.Get.nano!

Topher Grace... The guy is hilarious, but VENOM?

cant w8 to see how theyre gona pull it off :)

iPaul

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, that might be reason enough to check it out... ;)

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I thought he was good in "Traffic."

Lethal

25. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

I'm a bit disappointed with this news. I remember a while back reading that Kirsten Dunst was under contract for three movies but she made it clear she did not want Spider-Man to define her entire acting career and so would not be acting in any sequels after #3. This is a problem given the love triangle established in Spider-Man #1 and #2, unless of course they kill her off and introduce another love into Peter Parker's life.

Also, I wonder how long Toby will keep acting with his bad back. He almost didn't do #2 because of his back problems. For me, replacing one of the main characters (unless they died, e.g. Mary Jane Watson) would kill my interest in the movie series at that point.

I was really hoping #3 would finish the storyline with Green Goblin #2 or Hobgoblin, but it seems Hollywood greed has overridden the need to complete a narrative. Back to the comics.