Spiderman In The Flesh!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Daveway, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Clink

This is a story of a brave French guy who calls himself "Spiderman". He was found climbing up a skyscraper in Hong Kong.

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I believe he has an accomplice on the ground who can alert police that he's not a terrorist. He carries a cell phone so police, etc. can talk to him.

I saw a documentary on him a few weeks ago. Interesting guy. He's married, with two or three kids. It'll be sad for them if he doesn't make it one of these days.

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Uh...I feel dizzy just looking at that picture. There is no amount of $$$ in the world that would get me to even attempt something like that.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I've also seen a video on him and it is quite amazing what he can do. I couple of summers ago, I climbed a latter to the second floor of our house to paint and I was holding on for dear life, I can't imagine what he thinks.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, this guy obviously doesn't have acrophobia! It is quite a skill, I''ll give him that, but ultimately, you just have to ask the question, "WHY?!"

Oh, and it's "ladder". :p ;)

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

That is crazy. That guy must be either really cookoo or really confident, or both...:p

9. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Aside from the fact you're probably not fit enough, or have the required skills, body/mass distribution... etc.

;)

This man is truely a genius in my eyes... I'd give my right arm to be able to do something like that, and have the confidence... but then.. without my right arm... i doubt I'd get that high... :p

10. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Yeah, this is impressive. No ropes, no belay just pure exposure. Is this the same guy who has used the suction cups if there exists no hand holds?

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Truly an amazing feat. That would certainly take the height of physical ability. Noticed that he does wear red pants, wonder if there is any Spiderman design on them? I give kudos to the police for not arresting him.

12. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

I also saw a small documentary with footage of him being home with his family. His wife says that she isn't worried although she would greatly miss him, and more fearful about their children following in his footsteps. Believe me his eldest - I think 11 now - scales their apartment walls like you wouldn't believe!!!! Me and a few kids of my mothers old apartment building, apart from playing nicky-nine-door, used to always play tag. Scaling the brick walls right by the elevator. it was hilarious when a kid passed right under ya.

I'm surprised Spiderman does carry a cellphone. On vibrate it might tickle him. On Outdoors setting it may startle him also at a critical moment. Either one could lead him to fall. Imagine walking by a skyscrapper and seeing a guy bounce off the floor from nowhere! Then after the shock really settles in .... you hear a cellphone ring once and smash just a few feet in front of you. :D

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Taipei 101 is not the tallest building in the world.

EDIT: Oops, I stand corrected. It is taller than the Petronas Towers. Things change very very quickly. :eek:

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually isaw a documentary once about him when he climbed a building he was idneed wearing a spiderman suit (with some pockets for those stuff he needs to put on his fingers etc.)

15. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I guess apple could start a "Climb different" campaign with him... white headphones ... he should have an iPod :)

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Better be surprised by a cell phone than by a policeman trying to pull/shoot you off the building....

17. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

this guy has got some skill, but c'mon, get a day job or sumthing

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, 101 was built in 2004, so pretty recently. The NYE celebration there this pst year was amazing, they basically lit the Tower on fire, with fireworks shooting out of the top and everything - amazing! The Petronas Towers were erected in 1998, I believe... And I think there is some rumored tower in India supposedly being built for 2008 which will blow all of them away! :eek:

19. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I thought exactly the same thing when reading this post.

They'll have to remake entrapment now :p

20. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm pretty sure he supports himself and his family with the income from these stunts. I can't remember exactly how he does it though. Maybe commercial endorsements? This guy could probably just climb up bridge or something and then just pass the hat around like a street musician if he wanted to.

21. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

this kind fo stuff really annoys me. This guy is a moron. if you want to free climb, do it at an appropriate area. Better yet don't do it. not because you might get killed, that's your choice if you want to do this kind fo stuff, but because it impacts other people (and being out in the wilderness and getting hurt would require a rescue effort or search team). The police end up cordening off the area, people are put into action to verify he's not dangerous to himself or others (and no, some guy in the ground vouching for him isn't enough). Streets might get closed, productivity is lost. Paramedics have to wait around as he finishes, removing them from potential other situations. Police usually ahve to go an arrest him when he finishes instead of, you know, actually protecting the public. Every effect of this guys actions are detrimental to the rest of society. He should be locked up for a significant period of time if you ask me (say a year or so), since he's going to keep on doing it and tie up public and private resources. Make no mistake about it, he's stealing from the tax payers.

22. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I want to see the reaction on the people's face that were working in that building.

Could you imagine working in your private office and all of the sudden some guy pretending he's Spiderman is climbing up on your window. They might be used to the window washers, but this is different. :eek:

23. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

More impressed by the endurance and guts (recklessness?), than by the skill level...

24. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Climbing skyscrapers with a rope and harness while being belayed would be really fun, but free climbing like this guy is insane. A four hour ascent would take some seriously strong forearms.

25. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Sounds more like Popeye than Spiderman to me...