Spiegel Interview With Jimmy Carter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iTwitch, Aug 17, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wow.

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Great article. If only we could get non-retired politicians to speak as plainly, honestly, and with conviction.

From the NYT:
    Sorry this quote is only tangentally related. I like how Bush's "new tactics, efforts and assets" were police work and were specifically *not* invading ME countries. He praises his own tactics and then denounces the tactics England used to catch the bad guys.

How does anyone take him seriously anymore? I'd say Bush is *way* more totally sooper cereal than Gore could ever hope to be.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And how.

I always liked Carter. He's way sharper than the Republicans (and a lot of Democrats) give him credit for. That statement about fundamentalists is clear, insightful, and dead-on.

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Has any other U.S. President ever made a public speech to a non U.S. audience delivered in their language, besides Jimmy Carter? I know Kennedy endeared the Germans with "Ich bin ein Berliner" in '63, but I find no other U.S. President besides Carter (not even Bush) who has delivered an entire public speech in another language. Anyway, Carter scored big in my book in '02 for this speech, despite criticism for being in Havana at the time. He will certainly be remembered in history as one of the most effective, ex U.S. Presidents.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sad that since I read your post before reading the link, at first I thought he was talking about the terrorists. I'm just going to say it. Neocons and Islamic extremists have a lot in common. And I wish Dems could be this open while they were running for office instead of waiting until after they've lost. Some of us in the real world actually like this candor.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not that big a difference. Islamic fundamentalists can kill people and drive the country into a temporary state of disequilibrium (as they did on Sept. 11), but Christian fundamentalists are doing something less deadly yet more insidious: rotting our country from the inside out. Either way, they're enemies of our democracy.