Spigen SGP Aluminum Home Button

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Koebot, Oct 25, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Spigen now has their home buttons listed under the iPhone 5 items. They look to be the same as what they offer for the 4/4S and iPad. The only note is that it will not work with the iPad Mini. Not sure how they'll fit the 5 if the button is supposed to be slightly smaller than past phones. If anyone tries these, let us know how they fit.

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 6502a

JS82712

$10 for 3 stickers. :rolleyes:

3. macrumors regular

Should I give this a try if I'm using a Bodyguardz Pure screen protector? Or will it be too risky of it not fitting?

4. macrumors member

Am I the only one who thinks that they just don't match up well?

Maybe the silver/aluminum one might look good if you had a white/silver Draco bumper and a white iPhone...

Curious to read some reviews about them.

5. macrumors regular

they should come with the glas.t(r) imho and not these rubber things.

6. macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

I came across something similar on eBay, but they had the iCloud logo on them. I read the sellers feedback and buyers said that they didn't work with the iPhone 5, even though they were selling them for it. As long as they are listed under the iPhone 5 & not the 4/4S, they should be okay.

7. kyellowness, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

macrumors regular

8. macrumors 68000

Daremo

I bit the bullet and ordered a set. I'll let you know how they look once they come in. I only really want the black one.

9. macrumors member

Let us know

Thank! Let us know how they work.

10. macrumors 68040

Giuly

I'm starting to more and more be convinced that California/Korea-based SGP is a subsidiary of Samsung... :rolleyes:

You don't do that to an iPhone.

11. macrumors 6502a

It's a shame they don't sell just 1 for $3 or 3 of the your color of choice at least. I'd have no use for the silver and pink.

I'd like to know as well!

Agreed. Wish they would just make one that looked like the stock home button. Can't be that hard...

I'm guessing these buttons are probably aimed towards people with the Glas.T/Tr. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a high quality button, especially since the ones that come with the protector are crap.

12. macrumors 68020

JoeG4

lol, that's nothing.. what about the people that buy it for the fancy design and then stick it in a gaudy case.. particularly the kind with the hole in the back so everyone can see it's a real iPhone :D

13. macrumors 6502a

Are you using a Glas.T? How thick is the button?

14. macrumors 6502

aluminum home button....now all that's left is an aluminum screen protector and we'd have ourselves a nice little aluminum paper weight with phone functions.

15. cdhoward, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

macrumors member

I tried to order just now... They show available to ship on 11/6, but it errors out when I order saying something about not a proper registration or something like that. Anyone else having issues?

Tried again today with no issues. I'm on order now. Yeah!

16. macrumors 6502

How does it feel when pressing it?

17. macrumors 6502

The buttons not too thick. I'm not using a GLAS.t at the moment. When I put the sticker on the home button, it pops out a bit. Not as much as the domed home buttoms they have but it's not a really thin sticker. I think it adds just the right amount of thickness.

It feels really good pressing on it. It's kinda texturized and feels good using it~ :)

18. macrumors regular

just came in the mail today
    apologies for the crappy pic, Samsung Galaxy Nexus (nuff said)
    [​IMG]

very happy with the results, sits nicely with the Glas t as stated earlier in this thread

19. macrumors member

I got a shipping notice today! Can't wait to get it, especially since their website indicated it wouldn't ship until the 6th!

20. macrumors 6502

Use the other two as pasties.

21. macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Looks so cheesy! But cool in a way...

22. macrumors member

[Review] SGP's Aluminium Home Button

Disclaimer: The SGP's Aluminium Home Buttons and the Celldeco white home buttons are all purchased by me and not sponsored by anyone (I wish!). This review was written in context from a buyer's point of view in Singapore and the brand HugU and it's product Glass Guard and Glexible might not be available from where you reside in.

Summary Points -
    Pros:
    - looks very sleek
    - will fit either glass or film screen protectors
    - removable with no residue leftovers
    - fits HugU's Glass Guard very well; just a very light slight protrude
    - fits iPad as well

Cons:
    - limited colors
    - unlike the Celldeco home button, the SGP's home button still creates a slight recess when paired with Glas.t or Glas.tR
    - does not fit iPad mini nor iPod touch (according to SGP website)

Introduction

This is the first time that SGP has came out with aluminium home buttons and I can tell you they look very sleek. When I first saw the home buttons image on their website, I was kinda unsure if they would fit the image of the iPhones as good as what the Celldeco home buttons did. However my close friend who was selling SGP accessories assured me that they look damn good and if he had an iPhone 5, he would immediately use them (he and his usual sales tactic! Haha..). Still, I decided to meet him to take a look at them. Since some of you requested me to do a review on the home buttons, and some of you also requested me on how does the Celldeco home button will look like on the Glass Guard, I decided to do this review and show you guys everything related to this two brands of aluminium home buttons.

Packaging

[​IMG]

The packaging looks very attractive, especially with it's silvery reflective wordings contrasted against a dark blue background. The current colours available are pink, silver and black, and all of them have the all familiar square box of the iPhone family highlighted in white against the colours. This is different from Celldeco as they used the aluminium silvery background to used to draw out the shape of the box instead. Unfortunately the package does not come with the usual SGP's authentication code but I guess it's still early days for the Chinese to imitate them. Just like Celldeco, SGP's home button are made in (South?) Korea.

The Devil is in the Details

[​IMG]

Take a look at this set of photos above. This set of photos are based on my iPhone with the Glas.tR installed. The top photo shows the Celldeco home button sitting flushed against the surface whereas the bottom photo shows the SGP home button sitting slightly recessed in.

[​IMG]

The second set of photos are based on my mum's iPhone which has the Glass Guard installed. The top photo shows the SGP home button sitting slightly more flushed in as compared to the Celldeco home button shown at the bottom.

Thoughts

So if you are considering to get either the Celldeco aluminium home button or the SGP aluminium home button and you using either the Glas.tR or the Glass Guard, please use the above photos to help you decide which brand to get.

As for me, I've decided to stick with my Celldeco because it sits nicely flushed:

[​IMG]

And let my mum who is using the Glass Guard to use the SGP one instead:

[​IMG]

If you are not using either of the glass screen protectors and you hate to have the home button protruding out too much, you should consider getting SGP. However if you are those kind of people who likes to doll up their iPhone a lot, then maybe you might want to get Celldeco instead as it has much more colours to choose from until SGP starts to produce rainbow coloured aluminium home buttons too. :)

Here are some combinations of SGP aluminium home buttons which I took especially for you guys. The black iPhone is sporting the Glas.tR:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The white iPhone is sporting the HugU Glexible (I mixed and match using my mum's iPhone first before I changed her Glexible to the Glass Guard later on) except for the last photo which is sporting a Glas.tR:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. macrumors regular

I would totally get one but I would only need two of the colors I wish that they would sell these thing separately. not in a three pack.

I would buy it but wife has a 4 and it will not fit. so no sense to me.

now if anyone is willing to sell a black or silver button I think I would take it off of your hands.

24. macrumors newbie

Here's my iPhone 5 decked out in a Spigen costume of elegant, if overpriced, wonderment. [Spigen glas.tr + Neo Hybrid EX in Soul Black + aluminum home button in black]

It feels pretty close to flush with the glass to me. I suppose it is ever-so-slightly recessed, but then again, so is the home button on a naked iPhone. . ..

Attached Files:

25. macrumors regular

Looks very nice. Exact setup I want, except with the Neo Hybrid in Metal Slate.