Spike Lee has lost it...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iSaint, Aug 26, 2006.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

SpikeLink

I used to respect Spike for his ability to face facts. He's an obvious cinematic genius. But, conspiracy theories are apparently abound in his upcoming HBO special.

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

The only thing that sounded consipracy theorist in the clip was the blowing up of the levee's. If New Orleans would have been filled with millionaire republicans, you can bet that the response would have been much different than what had happened.

I look forward to seeing this.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thank you. Give me a break iSaint. I certainly don't think this was planned, but it certainly helps the a**hole Republicans in Louisiana, no? Why would Bush bother to help these people? Oh wait, he didn't. :rolleyes: I don't see anything wrong with the article. I see no conspiracy here- only good old-fashioned American questions.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm reserving judgment until the movie comes out. If it's all conspiracies about GW hating black people, I'm not interested. If it's more about the failures that led to the problems dealing with the aftermath and how people are coping, then I can't wait. I'm assuming it'll be more of an editorial with both, Michael Moore style, in which case it could go either way.

And for the record, GW doesn't hate black people... he hates poor people.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Because poor people are poor because they are immoral- but you knew that! ;)

I never thought I would reference a film but- watch V for Vendetta. Oh wait! That's just commie leftist propaganda! :rolleyes:

Oh silly me!

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I remember Spike Lee being on the movie review's section with Mark Kermode of Simon Mayo's Five Live radio show (essential listening, when the good doctor doesn't like a film :D ) a couple of months ago talking about this documentary. He said that the only reason he made 'The Inside Man' was so that he could get the funding to make his Hurricane Katrina film. Whatever you think of the 'conspiracy theory', with Spike Lee at the helm you just know it's going to be an intriguing film and put a "few noses out of joint." I'm looking forward to getting the chance to watch it.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Seen it. Loved it. And not just because of Natalie Portman. ;) Hoping Watchmen gets the same treatment. Same type of thing.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Talk about conspiracy theories - are you all listening to yourselves?

9. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

LOL!

I think the bottom line is that this was a major natural disaster. And there's no way we could or can ever be prepared for the results. Reports, films, documentaries, placing blame...they're all just sensationlizing for the purposes of ratings.

As someone who lives in Mississippi, and has many friends on the coast, the only fact I know is that without the many faith-based groups reacting immediately and still helping, things would be a lot worse. There's too much time and money wasted on criticizing.

But, I still like Spike Lee. I should see this before judging further.

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Forget conspiracy theories. With the incompetence on display here ($860 million in trailers sitting on an airfield in Arkansas plus $1/4 million a month storage fee, reports of 21% of aid given directly to victims was given improperly), do you really think this gang could conspire to do this?

11. iGary Guest

iGary

I think it is just the ineptitude of government, and I certainly don't see many of the people calling Repblicans "*******s" hating on DEMOCRAT Ray Nagin in the other thread...;)

12. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

see, what we need to do is start drafting the poor (and the old folks too) into the space program. Imagine the savings at NASA if we didn't have to worry about getting the astronauts back...

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You're full of it.

Pretty funny point you made there. :D

As to Lee's movie. I'm interested as to what he has to say about this. But is he doing this for profit? Or is he donating the proceeds? I'm a little confused.

14. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I don't think this thing is destined for theatrical release. My understanding is that it was a documentary he made for HBO, where I believe it has already been shown. So I'm assuming he's already been paid for it...

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It is a four-hour documentary, shown in two parts on HBO. I watched the first part last weekend. Part two aired Monday. We agreed around here to not watch the second part until it was re-run. Just too hard to take, all at once. Yes, there's the implications of conspiracy, but if anything, a conspiracy not to care much about the fate of poor people -- which goes on quite evidently to this day, so it's hard to argue that it's not a fact. I came away from watching part one with the unhappy reminder of what a national disgrace this event was on a whole, and how it continues to be a disgrace a year later.

16. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Doesnt take a genius, just some logic:

levees built to withstand Category 3 hurricane

Category 4/5 hurricane shows up...

For:

4 or 5 > than 3

causing the levees to fail.

Whats worse, IMO, is they rebuilt them with the same standards, Category 3 or less withstanding.

Only common sense, which every politician lacks, would say:

"We live in an area where hurricanes are known to happen"

"Hurricanes can be Category 1, 2, 3, 4 OR 5"

"We should build things to withstand a 4 or 5, but a 5 would be best"

And yet, this doesnt happen. Quite sad, seeing as how it will happen again and again if you dont PREPARE CORRECTLY.

So, no, it wasnt a CONSPIRACY, it was INEVITABILITY, Mr. Anderson.

/offsoapbox

17. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

You are most correct, sir!

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Oh, Christ, how wrong is this?

It's the Republican *******s!!

19. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

It always takes a disaster to see the flaws in planning, response and management. From an airline crash, to a flood.

I find it amusing when a plane has a problem, the FAA recommends carriers of the planes, fix it. When the plane goes BOOM and kills lots of people, THEN and ONLY THEN do they mandate the fix.

Because they didnt KNOW it could go BOOM, otherwise they would have mandated the change, DUH!

In the case of levees vs katrina, its obvious they havent learned from the mistakes of the past.

We KNEW they couldnt take more than a Cat. 3, and they were "surprised when the levees failed".

now they rebuild no better, sigh.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

FWIW, this is absolutely not true. The FAA issues hundreds of Aeronautical Directives every year, mandating corrections to aircraft when absolutely nothing has gone boom. Even one small fault in a single airplane that produces no accident can generate an AD which requires that every airplane of that type be inspected and repaired.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Hey, what did I do? :confused: Can anyone say GW does care about poor people? For the record, to quote SilliconAddict again, I never suspect conspiracy when incompetence would accomplish the same result. It was incompetence all around. Federal and local.

Nagin dropped the ball too, and has said some stupid things... but this has become a pattern with Bush.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's probably news to the Times Picayune, who with a mutli-part feature predicted Katrina quite accurately in intricate detail some years ago.

There's no such thing as a "category 5 levee". Each levee system is designed and maintained differently and things like age, erosion, effects of nearby infrasructure and unique attributes of a specific storm will all dynamically affect a levee system differently. They could survive a direct hit from one category five hurricane this year and be wiped out by a category three the next.

It's not an engineering project like building a bridge where precise tolerances can be specified. If it were, they'd simply dial in the numbers, build an hors catégorie levee and remove the "NOT TO EXCEED MAXIMUM CAPACITY OF 155MPH" warning label.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What is known now, though is that low lying areas are much more prone to storm damage. Continued building in those areas means continued devastation in the future. Those in charge of NO are failing their citizens by allowing these areas to be built in. We can engineer levees and bridges but human stupidity knows no limits.

24. iGary Guest

iGary

I was picking on Leekohler. :D

Wasn't the smartest thing to say, but it's not all untrue, if you think about it. I watched the interview on 60 minutes last night.

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not only were the levees blown up, Katrina was created by the US government with a secret weapon in the Atlantic.

It was done to thin out the ranks of poor people in the south who would pose a threat to the govt. as time went on. I thought everybody knew this?? :confused:

You know what would fix all this? Another dose of National Service.
    Let's see who bites...