Spill Suppressor in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iJED DV, Jul 27, 2006.

1. iJED DV macrumors member

iJED DV

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm stumped with a green screen problem in Final Cut Pro. I taped four interviews in front of a green screen without adjusting the lighting of the green screen between subjects. However, when I imported the footage into FCP, I can key the green out from behind them, but if I use spill suppressor things get crazy.

On two the subjects, suppressor works fine, allowing me to adjust intensity to remove any green in the skin tones. On the other two, a gray background begins appearing and the subject becomes almost totally magenta. There is no in between. The subject either has the green in the skin tone or is totally magenta, so I can't adjust the intensity.

I've asked a few editors we partner with, but no one has had this happen. Anyone have any suggestions?
  2. sturigdson macrumors regular

Apr 3, 2006
    Oy. Not sure that I can offer you any significant help, actually- all of our post, particularly green screen post, was done by our inhouse post production director himself- so i never had any hands on. Let me, however, ask you a couple questions which might help clarify your project and needs for those better suited to answer:

A) I assume you're using FCP's green screen and spill supporessor effects and filters, and not a third party plug in. Is this true?

B) what is the format of the footage, and what are you cutting it at? Is this HD, SD DV, Beta...?

I ask because we shot extensive greenscreen on SD DV, and it was a significant chore to deal with- it just isn't high-enough res. If it's SD DV, you may have better luck dealing with your greenscreen effects with a third party solution. We used After Effects, I know, and masked out the greenscreen, then exported that alpha channel back for FCP's use. Maybe that'll help.

Sorry mate, good luck. Hope somebody has a better grasp on what to do to help.
  3. howinson macrumors member

Sep 12, 2005
    Try keying out your subject using
    Apple Motion
    After effects

these software are far better than FCP keying plugin
  4. iJED DV thread starter macrumors member

iJED DV

Jun 21, 2006
    Thanks for your replies. Again, it's not really the green screen keyer that seems to be the issue, it's more the suppressor, so matting the subject in another program would only cut out the gray background that suppressor sneaks in, but wouldn't help the green/magenta spill on the subject. Do any of these programs do a better job of getting rid of the green spilling on the subjects of green-screen video?

As to the questions asked above: Yes, I'm using FCP's keyer and suppressor and not a third party's. I'm shooting on Mini DV using a Canon XL 2.

5. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2006
    Are use using the green screen or chroma keyer?
  6. iJED DV thread starter macrumors member

iJED DV

Jun 21, 2006
  7. skimaxpower Guest

Jan 13, 2006
    I love the "Key Light" third party plugin for After Effects. The simplest and easiet chroma key tool I have ever used.