Spilled a little water on the iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Loves2spoon, Sep 16, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Water got into the microphone and I thought I got it right away.

When I turned on my iPhone it looks like there is water under the display but everything is working ok. I shut off the iPhone and wrapped it in a towel.

Before I call Apple has this happened to any of you and is the phone ruined?

Thank you

2. macrumors 68040

maturola

just an FYI, water damage is not cover by Apple care, so if you indeed spilled water on the iPhone you are SOL.

(you can get a replacement for $200, sorry).

There is a moisture sensor on most of the openings of the iPhones, it will turn Red/Pink with Water or high moisture, if that is the case, You are not cover by the Warranty.

[​IMG]

More info and pics on this thread - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=960435

Edit: well, you may be in luck, they have seen to relaxed a bit about it, read here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1015868

3. macrumors regular

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

If I purchased this iPhone at Walmart would I be able to exchange it there? :D

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

So it's starting to get foggy under the screen now. Will it eventually dry up?

6. macrumors 68040

The Californian

7. macrumors member

Do this, fast.

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

It's been in a ziploc bag with rice for 2 hours now. Weird how so little water got into the ear piece and it got all under the screen!

9. macrumors 65816

mackmgg

You need to keep it there for 24 to 48 hours if you want minimal damage

10. macrumors regular

I had some water under my screen, I let it sit in the bag of rice near the windowsil (it was really hot here)

It evaporated finally.....

I also removed the sim tray just to give the water more opportunity to evaporate....

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

So should I take it out of the rice bag tomorrow and turn it on and see if the water dried up? Plus I'm going to be pissed if the rice scratches the oleophobic coating... :(

12. thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

So I turned it on this morning and the water is still there...

Is it 100% certain that apple will charge me $199?

13. macrumors 68040

It's never 100% certain. It depends upon the mood/inclination of the genius you are dealing with at the Applestore--some have gotten free replacements in these cases.

However, its the *policy* that you must pay $199 to get a replacement as the result of water damage.

14. macrumors newbie

You do realize that every time you turn the iphone on while there is still moisture present you are shooting yourself in the foot?

You need to leave it alone in the rice for at least a 48 hours. At this point you should think about just microwaving it to remove the moisture.

15. macrumors 68040

maturola

The only 100% certain thing is that you (and everyone else) will die some day, you may get lucky and get a nice manager to replace it, you may not, all we know is that Water damage is definitely NOT cover by Apple care, but it have been reports of free replacements.

@OP Please DO NOT MICROWAVE your iphone :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:, If any you can use a conventional over (i did it once with a Blackberry even them i DO NOT recommend that), microwave will damage several internal components.