Spilled Guinness on Macbook, BRILLIANT!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theshua, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. theshua macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2007
    #1
    Earlier this evening I spilled a full glass of Guinness on my macbook keyboard. Other than drinking and computing, I now know from reading these forums turning it on was not the right move, but I did. I cleaned it off and then I turned it on and it worked at first, but I have an X over the battery indicator. It will work when the power adapter is plugged in but will not start on its only the battery and not connected. When it is on it seems the only problem is that it isnt recognizing the battery, and the spacebar is sticking. I cleaned the keyboard off with a very lightly wet paper towel and have it drying in front of a fan... other than that is there any advice anyone can give me? for cleaning the keyboard? Is the fact it was working with the power cord a sign the computers fine, just the batterys gone? What should I do from here?
     
  2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

    Father Jack

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    Ireland
  3. SMM macrumors 65816

    SMM

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    Location:
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    #3
    You should be reprimanded for having liquids near your computer and flogged for wasting the Guinness. (sorry, could not resist).

    If you have the wherewithal, and patience, to disassemble and clean your machine, do that. It is a laborious, tedious task indeed. You cannot short-cut the cleaning, especially if this was a major spill. Take it all apart and individually clean every bit of it.

    If you cannot convince yourself that this is your best solution, call around, get a quote for someone else to do it. The amount they quote will often inspire you to re-evaluate the first option. You also must consider that you will quite possibly do a much better job than the pissed-off tech who was given this job.
     
  4. theshua thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2007
    #4
    other than cleaning it for the stickiness does anyone see any other problems or advice
     
  5. xappeal macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2005
    Location:
    Brisbane - Australia
    #5
    A built in pint holder...... a better idea than a optical drive on the bottom of a laptop....

    Just my thought

    Oh and i once spilt coke all through my G4 iBook, a bit of careful removal and it all worked fine, as long as it didn't get into the HD or Optical drive it might be alright with a bit of luck
     
  6. VanMac macrumors 6502a

    VanMac

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Rampaging Tokyo
    #6
    - Dont do that again
    - Quit drinking
     
  7. theshua thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2007
    #7
    update:
    After a night of drying I woke up to a somewhat sticky space bar which after clicking a few times went completely away...
    Still had x over battery and assumed i was gonna have to replace that, but then i clicked the battery indicator to see what it said and it said :47 to full (it was charging the battery!) when i clicked off i no longer had the x but now had the charging icon... from this point what should i do? run the battery down? just continue working like theres no problem and hope for this same luck??

    ALSO! Light on magsafe is red while charging, and it is charging, i cant remember if thats normal?
     
  8. spork183 macrumors 6502a

    spork183

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2006
    #8
    The answer to that my friend is obvious: Have another Guinness...
     
  9. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

    steve_hill4

    Joined:
    May 15, 2005
    Location:
    NG9, England
    #9
    That's normal, and you seem to have gotten away with it. I'd let it charge, drain it down, try to dry down and remove any remaining stickiness with wet wipes and paper towels and then recharge battery. If any further problems, it's insurance time.
     
  10. smueboy macrumors 6502a

    smueboy

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2006
    Location:
    Oz
    #10
    Sounds like you were lucky, and all may be ok. You could calibrate the battery (it's a good sign that it's charging - red is normal charging light).



    ... AWAY from the the computer. :)
     
  11. phungy macrumors 68020

    phungy

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2006
    Location:
    FL/NY/TX
  12. NATO macrumors 68000

    NATO

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2005
    Location:
    Northern Ireland
    #12
    I'll drink to that! :D
     
  13. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    #13
    take out the battery maybe?? and run it straight from the power cord
     
  14. zen.state macrumors 68020

    zen.state

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2005
    #14
    why do I hear so many stories of people spilling liquids on apple laptops???

    are people really that clueless? no.. I think its that you don't really have respect for your hardware and in turn do careless things around it.

    no matter how much or how little money you have or how old or new the hardware.. ALL COMPUTERS DESERVE RESPECT AND PROPER CARE!
     
  15. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    Location:
    Nottingham, UK
  16. product26 macrumors 6502a

    product26

    Joined:
    May 30, 2005
    #16
    not good, considering you practically have to drink guinness with a spoon.
     
  17. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2006
    Location:
    Hoosiertown
  18. shu82 macrumors 6502a

    shu82

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    Rocket City, AL
    #18
    If it weren't for drinking I would not spend so much time on these forums. Yes there is a line of beers right next to my mini and my powerbook. Alas, I am a very careful drinker. The reason I switched back to start with was a long blackout night where I woke up in the morning and my dell would not work anymore. After smelling the puddle next and surrounding the damn thing. I remembered something. My bathroom is to the left and not to the right. The hard drives were still OK so I just sad ###k it, I hated that computer anyway. I believe it was subliminal, so I doubt that would happen to my macs.
     
  19. shu82 macrumors 6502a

    shu82

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    Rocket City, AL
    #19
    Yes I had a dell,(Parents gift), yes I pissed on it and fried the mobo. This is now I believe every dell should end its life. Just pray for your mac. Wait 3 days before even thinking about powering up.
     
  20. quackattack macrumors 6502a

    quackattack

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2004
    Location:
    Boise, ID
    #20
    Hopefully you got lucky... I feel like I should tell you that even if things seem fine, accidents like this with electronics can sometimes cause slow corrosion inside. I have seen it many times with digital cameras that have been submerged. If you start having problems in the next few months, this may be the reason. Things inside can start to corrode and create problems.

    Finally, as much as I feel your pain, and hope things work out... I have to say the title to this thread had me laughing hysterically, thanks ;) .
     
  21. theshua thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2007
    #21
    Alright everyone, sorry its in the wrong forum, call me a noob or something (damn got me), i was just in that state of OMGness (yea i said it) one would be in after having this happen... as for drinking around the computer, i learned my lesson (why do people even comment on that? Like Im gonna say OOOOOH I SHOULDNT have spilled the liquid on it, got it.).. Thanks for everyones help, everythings working perfectly now, I got REAL lucky. For that Ill drink another guinness...
     
  22. shu82 macrumors 6502a

    shu82

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    Rocket City, AL
    #22
    Cheers!! But I still would let it sit just, in case it is working itself down into the innards. Powered electronics + liquid = short = blown logic board
     
  23. amd4me macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2006
    #23
    When I saw your thread title I spat coffee all over my Dell lappie.
    It instantly reminded me of the Guiness commercial when that dude gets a sunburn BRILLIANT!
     
  24. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

    dornoforpyros

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    Location:
    Calgary, AB
    #24
    Guinness goes in the mouth my friend...mmm Guinness... I wonder what time the liquor store is open till on sunday :)
     
  25. product26 macrumors 6502a

    product26

    Joined:
    May 30, 2005
    #25
    because the guy was drinking.
     

Share This Page