Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buntyugo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I spilled the tiniest drop of juice on my trackpad today, but it just happened to land right on the crack between the trackpad and the unibody. My trackpad was completely unresponsive for a little while, but now it is working. However, it is really, really sluggish and doesn't feel nearly as responsive as it was before. The trackpad itself feels a little sticky, too.

Does anybody have any suggestions for cleaning my trackpad? I'd prefer not to have to open my Macbook up, but I will if I have to.

visim91

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011

Macdeez

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Leeds, UK.
Everytime I spill something on my MBP I wipe it off with tissue and if there's something dry that got stuck to the trackpad I just damped a tissue and rub it off. Nothing ever happened to my trackpad :S

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Everytime I spill something on my MBP I wipe it off with tissue and if there's something dry that got stuck to the trackpad I just damped a tissue and rub it off. Nothing ever happened to my trackpad :S

:D :D :D

I just had to laugh. With the amount of people here that are completely OCD with their Macs, this is very refreshing to read.

Once my boss was on his way home, but the laptop was still running some code, and he didn't want to put it to sleep. So he went out in the (light) rain with his MBP open, the lid just bend forward a bit so that the keyboard is slightly protected. Of course it's easier to do that if you know that you can easily afford to buy a new one, I wouldn't do it.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Good idea to take off the back cover and battery (you'll need a tri tip) and remove the track pad assembly and clean it, juice type liquids are not like water which can just evaporate fine. Juice is acidic and it can easily get into the cracks between the trackpad and case causing the pad to glitch and get sticky (not talking about the surface).

Macdeez

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Leeds, UK.
:D :D :D

I just had to laugh. With the amount of people here that are completely OCD with their Macs, this is very refreshing to read.

Once my boss was on his way home, but the laptop was still running some code, and he didn't want to put it to sleep. So he went out in the (light) rain with his MBP open, the lid just bend forward a bit so that the keyboard is slightly protected. Of course it's easier to do that if you know that you can easily afford to buy a new one, I wouldn't do it.

I'm not gonna enjoy myself If I keep worrying about spilling something on it, although I am careful but I've spilled enough water/juice/soda on my MBP to know it can take a bit more than a few drops to harm it. And your boss is an idiot hahahah.

Good to know I made you smile :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.