Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoIsays

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
You need to stick that Air into a ziplock bag with rice burying it and let it sit out in the sun to bake and vaporize the moisture for a couple days. Pronto!

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Lol you guys :p
I'm sitting by it and a giant fan on the family Gateway - it's propped up against the fan, vent facing it, lid open almost all the way.

Please give me a concrete answer - should I dry it out for the next week, and try it again after that? I'll tell my dad tonight, I guess...Have any of you had success stories?
No rice? I have a bag of rice specifically for this.

Mito

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
I'll definitely be trying this, thanks :)
Now there's a piece of rice stuck in my MacBook...I can hear it rattling around when I pick it up. Hopefully this won't be a big deal - I know the water damage would be much worse. These laptops seem to never dry...Noob question, but is MagSafe the magnetic charger thing?

It´s not a big deal now. Obviously I wouldn´t like it but you can get that piece of rice out of macbook fairly easy, just be gently and try to locate where it is. When you find a spot, just turn macbook up side down and gently shake it, I said GENTLY! till piece of rice will come out

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
Last night, like the idiot that I was, I was drinking a cup of water near my MBA. Of courses, about two inches of water spilled on it; it was on at the time. It made a sizzling noise for a couple seconds, and the screen went black. I then pulled off the power cord and dried to dump all of the water off of it, wiping it down with a rag. (The water was on the keyboard.)

Since I didn't know what to do, I immediately tried to turn it in again, once it was pretty dry. It turned on just fine, so I used it for a few minutes before shutting it down again.

This morning, I once again tried booting it up. It worked for about 15 minutes, then black screened and turned off again. I read some threads on these forums with another device, and since then have not tried to turn it on again. It's now sitting on my desk, with the lid slightly open. I know I should put it in a bag of rice and dry it or open up the shell, but my parents are still home and I'll have to wait.

Is there any hope for my MBA, or will it have already corroded the logic board and other internal parts? Please help :confused:

I know it's hard to remember, but whenever you've spilled something on your MBA, never EVER turn it on within 3 days after being spilled. My MacBook, it had the same symptoms you described. In the end, it actually lived, but the backlight died. The repair cost? $1000.

Calot

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Last night, like the idiot that I was, I was drinking a cup of water near my MBA. Of courses, about two inches of water spilled on it; it was on at the time. It made a sizzling noise for a couple seconds, and the screen went black. I then pulled off the power cord and dried to dump all of the water off of it, wiping it down with a rag. (The water was on the keyboard.)

Since I didn't know what to do, I immediately tried to turn it in again, once it was pretty dry. It turned on just fine, so I used it for a few minutes before shutting it down again.

This morning, I once again tried booting it up. It worked for about 15 minutes, then black screened and turned off again. I read some threads on these forums with another device, and since then have not tried to turn it on again. It's now sitting on my desk, with the lid slightly open. I know I should put it in a bag of rice and dry it or open up the shell, but my parents are still home and I'll have to wait.

Is there any hope for my MBA, or will it have already corroded the logic board and other internal parts? Please help :confused:

HOLY CRAP!

The exact same thing happened to me, READ CAREFULLY

Get one of those silica things that absorb humidity and come with a hanger included (supposedly you hang it in your closet between your shirts/pants and it absorbs moisture) put your macbook air OPENED inside a big trash bag with the silica thing.... Make sure the bag is sealed, or mostly sealed, LEAVE IT THERE FOR 72 HOURS.

Mine worked fine for a month after that, then I decided to sell it and get the new one.

DO NOT KEEP TRYING TO TURN IT ON

JUST LET IT BE FOR THREE DAYS.

Forget about the rice.

Rice has some dust in it and it could cripple your beautiful air.

Get the silica bag, it's like 5 bucks.

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
Doesn't MBA mainly breathe from the keyboard? Not sure if it's a good idea to cover the whole keyboard.

jcg878

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
Ugh, I'm never buying a used computer from someone that I don't know now.

About 5 mL of water claimed my Air's predecessor, a 13" MBP that I had added an SSD, swapped a big HD in place of the optical drive, and added RAM to a total of 8 GB. There was an instant short and I knew it was toast. The quote from the Apple Store was $835, so I bought a new MBA and sold the components (SSD, RAM) to a friend who knew what happened.

I think you've seen the end of your MBA. Such is life.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Dumped water in my MBP. Promptly turned it off, pulled the battery and unplugged it. Left it opened up and upside down (like an upside-down V) for 5 days on a rack over a baseboard heater (for the air-flow). Those were a very long 5 days. Despite massive temptation, I just left it there. No power at all.

Four years later I've still got the beast, plus had the GPU (maybe the entire logic board, I don't quite know) replaced under the NVidia chip replacement program.

It believe this was due to getting power off the machine so quickly, and then letting it dry really really thoroughly. I didn't do the rice or silica thing... After all, dry is dry whether you suck the moisture out or let natural evaporation work.

Sorry about your MBA... but I think you toasted it. My suggestion is to accidentally drop it into a lake. If your folks are like my folks were, while dropping a computer into a lake is really stupid (in their eyes) but they'll get over it - but dropping a glass of water into a computer is really really massively stupid (in their eyes) and needs to become a lesson to be learned. Which somehow always means you being deprived of something.

The reason for dropping it into the lake (as opposed to other ways of bricking the system) is that you can say with complete honesty that the machine has been damaged by water. Parents know when you are lying. In this case, you are not lying .... technically. At least perhaps not enough to trigger the parental lie detector antennae.

Good Luck. You'll live. But it won't be fun, and you have my sympathy. We've all done some stupid things.....

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Wow - you dumped a spilled upon Air on someone? Did you advertise it as such?

I did that with my 2010, after I had it repaired. I fully disclosed it on my eBay listing. The buyer understood, and as far as I can tell has been happy with it.

ShStylo

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
try and take it to the apple store

This just happened to me a couple days ago.

Very similiar incident. I mistakenly turned the MBA back on after I spilled water, however I did not hear any sizzling sounds and instead of having a black screen, I had a distorted screen when I turned it back on.

I let it out to dry for about 24 hours then I took it to the apple store, hoping for the best. The genius I spoke with didn't ask if I dropped it in water or anything and proceeded to diagnose the root cause of the distorted display. He went to the back a couple of times and in the end he deemed it to just be a faulty display and said he'll go ahead and put in a repair order for me.

So now my MBA is with that apple store and they are ordering a new display for me to repair. Now, I'm not sure if I was just lucky and my water sensors didn't get tripped during the spill or they have yet to discover I spilled water in my laptop. But in either case, on my repair order it said that no water damage could be found.

So I don't think it hurts for you to take it to the apple store and give it a shot, you might be able to get it fixed.

Best of luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.