Spillt water on new laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vivithemage, Dec 8, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

5 hours of owning my new MBA, spillt water on it...only on the side, a lil in the thunderbolt/usb/keyboard (1/3 of it maybe). I got it out, it's still running, USB and keyboard/lights work...should I just wait it out? haha.... ****.

2. macrumors 68040

McGiord

Keep it off for 48 hours, put it inside a bag full of rice, it will absorb the moisture.
    Or get some silica gel bags.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

That's a lot of rice, haha.

4. macrumors newbie

me personally? take it back get a refund and buy it again, just so you know its fine.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Hrmmmmmmmmmm, that seems ******. I just got the extended applcare, let that take care of any problems.

6. macrumors 68040

nope. doesn't cover spills. and, as i understand it, they have sensors inside to detect water damage.

best solution? none for this poor gadget. i don't eat or drink anywhere near my gadgets. i couldn't take the heartache.

7. macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Shut it down immediately and let it dry out for a really long time ... lots of threads here with relevant advice.

I think a week is about right ( seriously ) ... and get some ventilation ( fan ) blowing on it. Probably the bag of rice may work ...

The apple warranty does not cover abuse like water damage.

8. Guest

Cause this is the honest thing to do... :rolleyes:

9. macrumors 6502

I really want to tell you to return it but then i'd get stoned by the rest of the forum! I hate to admit it, but if that happened to me and I got it all visibly dry and it worked perfectly I would return it, but that is only because I have bad Anxiety!

10. wpotere, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

Maybe it is just me, but if I damage something I don't think that a store or Apple should eat the damage. I would just own up to it and get it fixed. I would check to see if maybe my credit card would cover it but returning it is just dishonest and I can't fathom doing it. I would have bad anxiety from returning it and being dishonest.

This is who I am though...

11. macrumors 6502

Your credit card may cover accidental damage to recent purchases; American Express (for example) will give you a replacement within the first 90 days.

AppleCare does not cover accidents, and you cannot return a product you damaged.

12. macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I'd go for the bag of rice option first, if it didn't auto-shutdown you may just need to dry everything out. Since it's water and not something like milk, booze, pop, etc, you could be ok as long as it's been dried out completely.

I won't advocate returning it and getting a new one.

13. macrumors 6502

Well, I've never had to experience something like that, I am also pretty sure I wouldn't do it if I was in the situation. the OP asked what could he do!

14. macrumors 6502a

David085

I drink a full glass of water about everyday near my computer on a coaster and I never experience spilling anything on the computer I am very careful when it comes to my gadgets

I would exchange it or ask for a refund and re-buy it in case it does effect it

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Amazon wont have them for 10-20 days they said...all out of stock. Returning it seems like a bad idea, karma would come back and get me somehow.

I mean, she runs fine, only got maybe 5~ keys on the right side..tipped it sideways, canned air'd it, blew on it really hard, seems to be running a-ok. I think i'll just keep it. It's not like it was pop or something sticky. I was surprised I had to get a few drops of water out of the thunderbolt/usb ports on the right side though.

16. macrumors 6502

I don't see why people are taking moral stance against returning the laptop. Sure, it isnt 100% honest, but seriously, what the hell does it mean to Apple? Apple are a multibillion dollar company, who make incredible markups on their technology. Even though I buy and love Apple products, sometimes I feel like they are doing as much scamming against us as this guy would be to him if he returned his MBA, purely because of the "Apple tax".

Return the laptop and get a refund. I fail to see why anybody should feel sorry for "poor Apple, the second richest company in the world".

17. Guest

Who cares what it means to Apple, that isn't the point. It is what it means to YOU! If you are willing to put your morales and values on the line then you really can't be mad when someone or some company takes from you.

OP, more than likely it is fine if it is still running. I would simply leave it still for now so that any residual water can dry up. If it wasn't a huge spill you should be ok. That being said, it still might be worth taking it to a computer repair place or even Apple and telling them what happened. They can then open it up and make sure that there is no water trapped in there.

18. macrumors 6502

Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking. Something we should all strive for.

19. Xikum, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

macrumors 6502

Don't give me that whiteknight bullcrap, Apple haven't always been honest to their customers (e.g. putting non-server grade HDDs in advertised server grade Mac Minis, over-use of thermal paste on very older MBP's, charging an absolute fortune for RAM upgrades), and I highly doubt that this guy returning his computer is going to cause Apple to go under.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple and their computers, but I am in no way in debt to them or owe them anything. If this was me, I would return it.

20. macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

The liquid sensors inside the machine I am guessing will be checked if one attempts to return a machine.

Often you see a genius take a machine "into the back room" ... guessing that is one of the first things that is happening in the back room.

21. Guest

Lol, it won't cause Apple to go under. However, that cost will get passed on to you on your next purchase and as I said, it isn't about Apple, it is about you. If you like being dishonest then go for it but don get mad when people call you out for it.

22. macrumors 68040

You have two claims here.

One, Apple is dishonest (according to you) and it is OK to be dishonest yourself. Even assuming the company (a collection of individuals) could somehow be dishonest (can an abstract concept lie?), following this logic I'd have to screw over my parents, friends, family, and colleagues, because they've all lied at some point in their lives. I doubt you are really OK with that.

Two, Apple has money, so they can afford to take the hit for your negligence. The premise here seems to be that you are allowed to screw over someone if you do a calculation and determine that they have enough money to handle it. It's not a question of right or wrong for you, but a question of cash, and the more cash someone has, the more entitled we are to screw them over. I don't know how you are OK with that.

The OP at least seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Dry it out and use it.

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

That's my plan. It works, i'll dry it out..and keep it. I don't feel it was Amazon's fault, or Apple's, haha.

If it breaks down the road, i'll pay for it.

24. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Winners. :rolleyes:
    Returning it is wrong. But as per the below post, it is clearly not what you intend to do. :)
    If it means nothing to Apple then Apple wouldn't have liquid sensors built in, champ.

Good for you. Nice to see some people can still be honest. But skip the rice if you've already been using it. It seems fruitless now.

25. macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Well that is kind of optimistic here given that the OP posted ...
    "I just got the extended applcare, let that take care of any problems."

Unless one has actually done something dumb like this to an expensive machine it is fairly easy to try to guess how it should be handled. Once it has been done though many of us might be tempted to try to return it without noting what was done to it.

That is one of the reasons apple has liquid sensors right? Let them be the judge of what has occurred or not ( apparently ) happened?