Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
What I actually did was run it for 1-2 hours after...and just turned it off, put it in the sleeve, with 3 of those silicon packs, figure i'll leave it there for a 24-48 hours.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
You have two claims here.

One, Apple is dishonest (according to you) and it is OK to be dishonest yourself. Even assuming the company (a collection of individuals) could somehow be dishonest (can an abstract concept lie?), following this logic I'd have to screw over my parents, friends, family, and colleagues, because they've all lied at some point in their lives. I doubt you are really OK with that.

Two, Apple has money, so they can afford to take the hit for your negligence. The premise here seems to be that you are allowed to screw over someone if you do a calculation and determine that they have enough money to handle it. It's not a question of right or wrong for you, but a question of cash, and the more cash someone has, the more entitled we are to screw them over. I don't know how you are OK with that.

The OP at least seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Dry it out and use it.

Apple have been dishonest in their products in the past. I already said how it was shown that at one point in time they put non-server grade HDDs in some Mac Minis when they advertised it was server grade. There are also pictures of the production line of the G4 (I think?) MBP, and the amount of thermal paste they used is ridiculous. The money that Apple charge for RAM upgrades is absurd, and they also have a bad habit of telling their customer what they want; then, implementing missing features in future updates (even after arguing that you don't need them).

To compare the 'emotional' attachment to your family/parents/friends/whatever is ridiculous. Apple are a company out to make money, and boy do they do that. Their products have a certain amount of "Apple tax" that will never go away, and if Apple could, I'm 100% sure they wouldn't think twice about increasing their prices if they could get away with it. They also charge a fortune for repairs, and even simple stuff such as transferring your data over to a new computer.

I never said giving it back would be honest, a good deed, or anything like that. It isnt. Its lying, and its expecting somebody else to make up for your mistake. However, I'd rather that a multibillion company took the hit (its a drop in the ocean for them) rather than myself if I could. Certainly an egoist outlook on the situation, but hey. OP asked for advice and that is mine. I'd rather save my own money than line the pockets of shareholders.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Water damage can crop up over time, and unfortunately the MacBook Air doesn't have water resistance like some notebooks. The best bet is to leave it off for a few days. Otherwise, there might still be a little bit of water in there that will short the logic board in a few days. If your credit card covers accidental damage, then take it to a Genius Bar and have them check it out. If you do have liquids nearby frequently, consider getting a keyboard cover for the future.

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Water damage can crop up over time, and unfortunately the MacBook Air doesn't have water resistance like some notebooks. The best bet is to leave it off for a few days. Otherwise, there might still be a little bit of water in there that will short the logic board in a few days. If your credit card covers accidental damage, then take it to a Genius Bar and have them check it out. If you do have liquids nearby frequently, consider getting a keyboard cover for the future.

I don't, I never get liquids on my laptops....I have had laptops/computers for years, even water cooling desktops, and I have never gotten water on my components.

Except this month, I got water on my iphone, TWICE, and now this! HOrrible month for me and electronics.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
Hi, maybe take it back to an Apple store, tell them what happened and see if a Genius bar gent or lady can take a look at it and hopefully give it a clean bill of health.

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
If you got it from Apple, just return it. I'm pretty sure they have to give you a refund if it's within 14 days of purchase.

Also, I wouldn't feel bad about doing this; Apple does extensive research, and they know the percent of customers who will return their machines within the 14 day window. It is factored into the price of the gadget, meaning that you pay a bit more, in theory, to be able to return it no questions asked within 14 days.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
If you got it from Apple, just return it. I'm pretty sure they have to give you a refund if it's within 14 days of purchase.

Also, I wouldn't feel bad about doing this; Apple does extensive research, and they know the percent of customers who will return their machines within the 14 day window. It is factored into the price of the gadget, meaning that you pay a bit more, in theory, to be able to return it no questions asked within 14 days.

Care to cite your source on this? What will and does happen is that Apple won't take the hit, you and I do on our next purchase. That is standard business practice as is monitoring returns and the reason for it.

Some good advice in this thread and some real daft stuff too. You could simply go to Apple and tell them what happened. They may be generous and look at it for you just to make sure it is OK. If it were me, I would just pull it apart to check it myself.

Last edited:

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
Care to cite your source on this? What will and does happen is that Apple won't take the hit, you and I do on our next purchase. That is standard business practice as is monitoring returns and the reason for it.

Some good advice in this thread and some real daft stuff too. You could simply go to Apple and tell them what happened. They may be generous and look at it for you just to make sure it is OK. If it were me, I would just pull it apart to check it myself.

"Some really daft advice"

Yea, like opening your brand new laptop and voiding your warranty and Applecare.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I mean, she runs fine, only got maybe 5~ keys on the right side..tipped it sideways, canned air'd it, blew on it really hard...

People need to stop doing this. While you're blowing some water out, you're also blowing water deeper into the machine and complicating the problem.

Bag of rice. No blowing.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
"Some really daft advice"

Yea, like opening your brand new laptop and voiding your warranty and Applecare.

You spill water on it then it is voided anyway. :rolleyes:

As I said, this is me and I have been working on electronics for well over 25 years now. I have circuit level repair experience.

If you "read" (you should actually do this sometime) my post, I stated that he should take it in and tell them what happened. Let them look at it. :rolleyes:

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
Except this month, I got water on my iphone, TWICE, and now this! HOrrible month for me and electronics.

You need to keep a few kilograms of dry rice and big plastic air-tight bags on hand as your emergency water spillage repair kit. I do this and also have a iPhone sized plastic ziplock bag full of dry rice, just in case. ;)

robinsmith1986

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
You need to keep a few kilograms of dry rice and big plastic air-tight bags on hand as your emergency water spillage repair kit. I do this and also have a iPhone sized plastic ziplock bag full of dry rice, just in case. ;)

Are you sure that dry rice technique will work as water spillage repair kit? If the spillage is on the external parts only then I think it will be working but if it goes on the Internal parts, I guess it will not work..

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
The dry rice trick works if you leave whatever hardware in a sealed bag/box for many days, not just a few hours. More days = better chance of all the moisture being absorbed by the rice.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
What I actually did was run it for 1-2 hours after...and just turned it off, put it in the sleeve, with 3 of those silicon packs, figure i'll leave it there for a 24-48 hours.

Why would you keep it running? You'd want it off, and not plugged in. If it was possible to remove the battery I'd suggest that too. I wish the macbooks had spill resistance built in like others (as other people can spill on them too), but seeing as they don't, keep beverages a few feet away. It takes a few days for moisture to dry internally, not 24-48 hours.

That is correct. It can be damaged without immediate symptoms.

bearsalley34

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2011
USA
assuming he uses the bag of rice, how does he make sure to get all of the grains of rice out of the thunderbolt/USB/other ports?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
assuming he uses the bag of rice, how does he make sure to get all of the grains of rice out of the thunderbolt/USB/other ports?

Rice is usually bigger than that, but honestly, if you've spilt water on your computer, you have bigger problems than a grain of rice getting in your USB port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.