Spining Rainbow Wheel Of Death!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lorenzo, Dec 30, 2005.

1. lorenzo macrumors member

i swear, i thought the blue screen was bad on pcs....

why oh why is my safari freezing on me daily? i am often opening new tabs and viewing 4 or 5 pages at once, and while they are loading it seems to be stuck on the annoying spinning rainbow wheel, ultimatly leading me to end the program for not responding.

what can i do to fix this? safari has been great until this!
    help!

2. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

4. lorenzo thread starter macrumors member

new 12inch powerbook

5. lorenzo thread starter macrumors member

yep.
    could it be the latest safari update, causing other new problems?
    i just want it to work! ha.

6. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

That doesn't sound right. Safari always ran fine on my eMac. Anyway, you could always give Firefox a try. http://www.getfirefox.com

7. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

8. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Check the ram ?

Hi,

I had a series of bad problems with my iMac G5 in the past, and the Spinnng Wheel of Death slowly became a well-known acquaintance of mine (alas) - not only in Safari, though.

It was solved when I took the machine back to the shop and they changed a faulty RAM chip, after which I reinstalled the whole system. (It seems the many crashes had also affected badly my HD, with lots of "lost & recovered files", so I just started up from scratch again).

If your PB is new, you could have its RAM checked, maybe ? Otherwise, reinstall Safari ? Since then, it all works perfect here, I'm always using Safari, with the exception of Firefox when the website do not agree...

A.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

lorenzo has more than enough RAM to run Safari.

10. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Definitely. My friend has a 350MHz B&W G3 with only 256MB of RAM and most of the time, it runs Safari just fine. Sometimes, it will get the beachball, but not very often.

11. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Try reseting Safari by going into the Safari Menu, run OnyX and see if this helps Safari.

12. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

I can duplicate the spinning wheel of death in safari by visiting certain myspace pages.

Then again, maybe that's just OSX's intuitive way of telling me to "stay away, danger ahead." :)

13. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

Why does everyone call it the beech ball of death it rarely means more than a slight delay in the system the blue screen causes all kinds of havoc and usually means a reboot.

14. Arnaud macrumors 6502

In my case (see the post above about the iMac), seeing the spinning wheel appear was a clear sign of hanging minutes (1 to 5 to ...) before getting control of the machine again.

I saw on the forums that different technical causes would bring some (many ?) users to have similar problems on their machines, i.e. : spinning wheel = patience needed and/or incoming crash.

It's normally nothing more than a signal that you'll wait a second or two, but sometimes it's worse...

Let's change the name to: "BBOMTFSOD", for Beach Ball Of More Than Fifteen Seconds Of Death ? Not that comfortable...

15. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

When the "beach ball" occurs, what does your activity monitor look like? Make sure that it is in fact Safari that is eating up all of your resources. You can also try emptying the cache from Safari, repairing permissions, etc., to see if that improves things.

Are you set to "Better Performance" under Energy Saver (or something along the lines of maximizing performance on your iBook)?

Also, as others have mentioned, try other browsers and see if they have issues. This will help isolate whether it's specific to the browser or your machine as a whole.

Just some ideas, let us know what you find. :D

16. oldtimer macrumors newbie

Internet Explorer

I tend to use IE as my browser. Is Safari better on a mac and if so why?:confused:

17. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Internet Explorer has had a variety of past and present security issues that tends to cause problems and give people a sense of insecurity in general. Internet Explorer does not have tabbed browsing, a feature that's quite nice and is best explained by trying it (Safari, Camino and Firefox all have tabbed browsing). The biggest incentive to not using IE any more is the discontinuation of its support on Mac. Food for thought.

I like Safari better because it's more minimalist, tends to run better and just works better in general. Firefox, while possessing similar appeal, also lets you change the skin (appearance) of the browser to match your own taste (think of it like your desktop wallpaper but for your web browser). Give it a try and see what you think. :D

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A little basic maintenance might help. Try repairing your permissions and rebooting.

19. oldtimer macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks for that advice will check out Firefox.:eek:
    I'm trying to start a new forum thread but don't see how to do it. Would appreciate any help offered.:confused:

20. lorenzo thread starter macrumors member

ive done both, and it still does the same thing.
    can i reinstal safari somehow?

21. lorenzo thread starter macrumors member

ive done both to no avail.... sigh...
    :confused:

22. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

You can click on the links at the top right of this page that read Mac Forums > Mac Software > Mac OS X. Since you're in the Mac OS X thread and want to start an entirely new thread you'd want to click on Mac Software and click the New Thread graphic at the top right (assuming your new thread is relevant to the Mac Software section of course).

Or, if that didn't make any sense, click on the Forums tab at the top right, find the section that's relevant and click on the New Thread graphic at the top left. :D

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Go over this again for me.. you're loading how many pages simultaneously in Tabs? Which pages? Are you using any plug-ins for Safari that may need to be updated? Does this problem persist if you log in as a different user (create one if need be) and duplicate the issue?

24. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Does Activity Monitor indicate that it is Safari that's eating up all your system resources and not something else?

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You don't want to do that. Have you flushed the caches as previously suggested?