Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
Is there any method of determining what causes a 2016 MacBookAir to very frequently show the beach ball?

My wife is extremely impatient with her Air - she constantly complains about the spinning beach ball. She re-starts almost every day. All the apps are latest versions - she really doesn't do much with it other than Facebook and the web pages opened when clicking links in Facebook. When I look at her machine, I see that she often has 10+ windows open in Safari - but she also claims that the "damn spinning ball" occurs even when there are just a few tabs open.

I've tried to tell her that closing open tabs would help, but she doesn't believe me.

My question - is there a utility that would show why the beach ball occurs?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
No particular utility. You'll probably have to go through several steps and checks to see if you can pinpoint the reason(s).

First, does she get beachballs before she starts Safari?

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
Check to see if any Safari Extensions are causing the issue. First, see if any need to be updated. Second, test Safari with Extensions "off".
There were only two extensions - a coupon finder, and an Amazon wish-list button. I deleted the coupon thing. Kept the Amazon app because I figure they probably know what they're doing.

I'll see if she complains less frequently about the beach ball.
[doublepost=1482512151][/doublepost]
On the affected Mac get the Free application EtreCheck. Think of it as a supersized System Report that will point you to old files you then could manually delete, then reboot.

Ran the report, and it is way too technical for me. You mentioned it would show "old files" - where might those be listed on the report?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
There were only two extensions - a coupon finder, and an Amazon wish-list button. I deleted the coupon thing. Kept the Amazon app because I figure they probably know what they're doing.

I'll see if she complains less frequently about the beach ball.
[doublepost=1482512151][/doublepost]

Ran the report, and it is way too technical for me. You mentioned it would show "old files" - where might those be listed on the report?

Post the printout. We will then study it to see if you need to delete some things. Just block out your personal information!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Did you clear all history (Safari/Clear History), Website Data (Preferences/Privacy/Manage Website Data ....) and passwords (if you have a password manager)? Be aware that this means Safari won't remember anything that you've done in the past, so if Safari has a password that you don't remember for a website that could be a problems.

As for the extensions until Safari is stable I would delete everything. You want to basically have it as it was when first installed to verify that it works as it should. Then as you add things back if it starts beach balling you can figure out what is causing the problem.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Post the report here for us to take a look. The report is anonymized, so contains no identifying information about you.

Also, I would bet money that coupon extension is adware. Download and run MalwareBytes like Bruno09 suggested to check for malware/adware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.