Spinning Beachball of Death!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportsfan1234, Feb 18, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Hello I am a huge newb at macs and computers/mac. I got my first and only 4gb MBP not even 2 years ago and it has worked great until now. I am a basic browser and only download music and videos (onto a separate external hard drive.) i dont play games or do anything intense. I feel like slowly yet suddenly I get the spinning beach ball ALL THE TIME now. It comes up with everything I do now. ...When opening new safari windows, running new apps , etc. ANYTHING causes the beach ball to come up early and often. I looked and I only have 2/4 gb used up. Is that a lot ? Can anyone please give me advice how to fix this problem or where I can go to get help! Do I need more memory?? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

Have you used Activity Monitor to look for the RAM usage, as you report here?
    Does that mean, you have 2 to 4 GB used up, or only 2 GB used up?

3. thread starter macrumors member

I think everything is normal

Attached Files:

4. simsaladimbamba

Your RAM usage seems okay, but what about your CPU usage as shown in my first reply?

You can use the following applications to benchmark the speed of your HDD / SSD, to see, if it is the culprit:

5. thread starter macrumors member

I dont know how to judge these numbers or tell if theyre good/bad

Attached Files:

6. simsaladimbamba

You haven't sorted by CPU, as shown in the screenshot.
    And if you do that, you should include the actual process (listed under the "Process Name") in your screenshot.
    And what about the HDD benchmarking tools?

7. thread starter macrumors member

sorry, still new at this. here is the list sorted by cpu % and actual process. i just tried to open ppt up and beachball (no surprise). what are hdd benchmarking tools?

Attached Files:

8. simsaladimbamba

CPU usage seems okay too, but maybe take a look at Activity Monitor while opening PowerPoint.

These.
    Maybe these can help too: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

9. macrumors 603

A dying hard drive can cause the spinning beach ball a lot.

Why do you put everything on an external? Kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop, no?