Spinning noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sarahhargraves, Aug 14, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2009
    I got my Macbook Air about 3 weeks ago and love it. However after the first 2 weeks, one day I turned it on and it was making a loud grating, spinning noise. The noise could be equated to if you try to play a CD but it hasn't been secured in the CD player fully so its banging around. But of course I have no disc drive...

So I stopped using it, tried turning it off and on again a couple of times over the next few days to no avail. I'm about to go back and demand a new one, but yesterday I turn it on and it's suddenly stopped making the noise.

My question is, is this problem likely to return, and is it due to a defective laptop? Should I see about exchanging it while it's still brand new or just wait and see if it happens again?
  2. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    "Demand". That's a great idea...

The only spinning thing in it would be the hard drive, so if that's the case, you should probably get that drive swapped.
  3. macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2008
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2009
    That's what I figured it was, but do you think it could have been a fluke that has now resolved itself?

And YES I would have (politely) demanded a new one, because a 2 wk old laptop with no wear and tear on it shouldn't sound like a broken washing machine. :)