Spirit on Mars!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

JPL link
    The photos will be coming down any time now. I'm excited!

Note the great URL for the mission description: marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/spotlight/rocknroll01.html

2. macrumors 65816

Woohoo! :)

I'm watcing on the NASA channel. Fun stuff. I feel really sorry for the Brits' Beagle 2. That must have seemed a bad omen for the superstitious at JPL. Watching these guys, I it's like watching big stakes gamblers with immense patience. They dedicate years of their lives to something that can SNAFU in a second.

3. macrumors 6502

Great for NASA, great for everyone. Besides the great research they do, I hope they make an IMAX movie out of this trip to mars.

--Waluigi

4. macrumors 68000

latergator116

Awesome! to tell you the truth, I didn't think it was gonna make it. I can't wait to see pictures

5. macrumors 65816

Pictures! They're great! Wow!

(Okay, I'll knock off the play-by-play. But it's so exciting. It's working! :D )

Edit: They even have descent pix! And it landed near a heterogeneous rock formation! (OK. Now I'll really stop.)

6. macrumors 68000

latergator116

Pictures!!!!.....Where are they??!!!

7. macrumors 65816

8. macrumors 6502

Hehe, in that celebration pic... I think that one guy in the back had money on lander not working...

9. macrumors 65816

:D Maybe he's from the Beagle 2 team.

10. macrumors 65816

Damn. The feed is over now. News briefing at 12:30 am Pacific, though.

11. thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Spirit is not the only space success this weekend. The spacecraft "Stardust" has apparently been successful capturing some dust from comet "Wild-2" in a fly-by, using capturing material called "aerogel" to collect the particles. If all continues to go well, the craft will return to Earth in 2006 with its samples.

12. macrumors 68000

latergator116

13. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Good news for NASA, they really need a success in these trying times, at least this Mars probe was not like the other ones that crashed! I hope it can find water, if it does I bet it would accelerate a move for humans to go to Mars:)

14. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Agreed. It's high time we got some butts on that rock.

15. macrumors 6502a

HIP HIP HOORAY FOR GEEKDOM!!!
    Seriously, this is way cool!

16. macrumors 68040

mactastic

:D

Attached Files:

17. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Any chance Spirit could look up Beagle, we seem to have lost it?

:( ;) :D

18. macrumors 6502

Anybody think they will find evidence of life of Mars, or that life once was there? When you read about the bizarre bacteria they are just discovering here on earth in deep rock, high heat, high radiation, etc, it does seem more probable.

19. macrumors 601

krossfyter

this is going to be a stupid question but i dont give a damn.

whats the bid deal here?

hasnt nasa landed a rover on mars before?

or did that one wreck and this one made it?

okay i had to get that out of the way and i choose to do it here. im just not versed on nasa history... forgive me.

on another note... if they do find any type of life on mars (i know this is not the point of the mission anyways) it will not shake my faith at all.

20. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, say somebody was studying earth and landed a rover of some kind in the Mojave desert. You can't really extrapolate all the much about the rest of Earth from that, you need several surveys.

21. macrumors P6

wdlove

There are no stupid questions krossfyter.

Man has always been curious by nature. Looking into that next frontier. Space is now the next frontier and in particular Mars.

NASA landed Sojourner on Mars in 1997, it travels a distance of a football field during its 12 weeks of activity. Sadly NASA lost 2 other missions. Opportunity is due to land on Mars January 2th.

22. macrumors 65816

No prob. It's a fair question. The thing is that, especially recently, unmanned science missions, particularly martian missions, have been having a very low success rate. Case in point was last week's tragedy of the unresponsive British craft, Beagle 2. I can't remember the exact number (63% of all stats are made up on the spot, anyway ;) ), but the success rate for martian missions is around 30%. So, yes, this is important. There's a lot we still don't know about Mars. We've seen evidence of ice, but we don't know how widespread it is. And if I'm not mistaken, the Spirit is going to bring back rock samples, something we haven't done before with Mars.

Remember last summer when Mars was closer to the earth than it had been in 60,000 years? That's when different science agencies launched a number of craft to Mars to perform different kinds of science missions. It was a window of oppurtunity.

23. macrumors regular

yeah, I've been to mars. It was okay.:p

24. macrumors 601

krossfyter

ah okay... i see the deal now. thanks guys for answering my question.

well i too hope its a success.

when i first heard the report last night on Art Bell... i was like "Whats the big deal.. did they land a person on mars or what"? What a dumbass!!

25. macrumors 68040

mac15

Thats incredible, the pictures are just amazing. Now answer me this, they can send something to land on mars from a few hundred thousand miles away and get pictures back, but I never get good phone reception? tis strange ;)