Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
I am ready to submit another app and I was reading through the guidelines for icon and it said that a splash screen is required. I never put one in the last 3 apps I made because they open immediatley, a splash screen does not seem necessary. If my app opens immediatley is it still necessary to insert a splash screen?

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
You should have a launch image. It should look exactly like the main screen of your app with the following changes:
- Dynamic content shouldn't be present.
- Things the user can interact with (IE, buttons) should either be grayed out, or better yet, not present.

To make one, I suggest just duplicating your main nib and removing the things that shouldn't be present.

You should have an image like this because it's what is shown when the user taps on your app icon. There's an animation that lasts ~0.25 seconds when the user taps your icon of that image zooming from the background of the launch screen up to the foreground. If at no other time, it'll be visible for that initial animation. If your app is ever running with tight resource constraints (maybe it's an old device, maybe it's defected, or maybe they have some background task that's hogging resources,) then your app might be a bit slow to display your main nib, and so it might display that launch image for a second or two (potentially up to ten seconds. If your app takes longer than ten seconds to launch, iOS will kill it.)'

For one app where my app had a search field on the navigation bar on the first screen and I didn't like it not being present in the launch image, I chose to include it in the launch image but then write "Loading..." in gray in the field so that users wouldn't think the app was just unresponsive.

Last edited:

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Thank You for the advice. I went along with what you and :apple: described and made the image of my main nib without any elements that won't always be there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.