Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuietFun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Meridian, Miss.
i just recently purchased the iPad Mini 4 (64gb Space Grey) after having the iPad mini 2 for a couple of weeks (16gb, not enough. Decided I liked the mini and to invest in a new one). Right now, they are both running the latest software update BUT in split keyboard "mode" the keyboard on the Mini 4 is significantly smaller than on the Mini 2. There are no settings for the split keyboard that I can find. Has anyone else noticed the size being reduced?? It's quite annoying. It almost feels smaller than an iPhone keyboard.

QuietFun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Meridian, Miss.
iPad Mini 2

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    570.7 KB · Views: 363

QuietFun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Meridian, Miss.
I'm unable to find anything in my settings. This is bothering me! Can someone that has a Mini 4 post a screenshot with your keyboard split like the above?

QuietFun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Meridian, Miss.
For a little while I though I could maybe find something with the bold text or font size but nothing works. This is driving me nuts.. Ahh

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
It looks like they made it more refined.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    141.8 KB · Views: 187

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015

it looks like they have designed the mini 4 split keyboard for landscape use, which works well, but have not adjusted it to make it bigger in portrait view. In portrait the keyboard should be bigger because the bezels are much narrower and your thumbs can naturally reach further in.

Apple have been making some strange errors in decisions recently, there isn't even an option to split keyboard on the ipad pro, where arguably you need it most, and the new magic mouse charges on the bottom so you can't use it while charging, where it could have been put on the front bottom.

Reactions: QuietFun

QuietFun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Meridian, Miss.
it looks like they have designed the mini 4 split keyboard for landscape use, which works well, but have not adjusted it to make it bigger in portrait view. In portrait the keyboard should be bigger because the bezels are much narrower and your thumbs can naturally reach further in.

Apple have been making some strange errors in decisions recently, there isn't even an option to split keyboard on the ipad pro, where arguably you need it most, and the new magic mouse charges on the bottom so you can't use it while charging, where it could have been put on the front bottom.
I thought the same thing about the mouse. Even their new iPhone 6 battery case has the charge/needs to be charged indicator is on the inside.. It's like theyre thinking too hard then just going through with release.. It could be them want to be so secret. I bet they don't let as many random people test their products and providing input. It would help.. They need to get in the forums more.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Ahh, so something has changed with it. I've used minis in the past, but recently with the mini 4 the split typing has felt more challenging for some reason. I kept making mistakes while typing and it felt like the keys were too small, but I just shrugged it off.

fryrice

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
Boston, MA
Just picked up my iPad mini 4 today and noticed the same "issue/improvement" and some googling landed me here. Looks like there is no fix and it's the new split keyboard.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Just installed 9.3 beta 2 on a mini 4. Pleasant surprise when I went to type to see that split keyboard has been increased in size.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Yes. Both are identical to each other (restored from same backup)

I think this is an iOS version issue not an iPad mini model issue. Restoring from a backup doesn't change the iOS version. iOS version needs to be updated separately.

iPad mini 2 on iOS 9.0.2 has larger split keyboard.
iPad mini 3 on iOS 9.2.1 has smaller split keyboard.

Could you check your iOS version?

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I think this is an iOS version issue not an iPad mini model issue. Restoring from a backup doesn't change the iOS version. iOS version needs to be updated separately.

iPad mini 2 on iOS 9.0.2 has larger split keyboard.
iPad mini 3 on iOS 9.2.1 has smaller split keyboard.

Could you check your iOS version?
He was saying the settings on both devices are exactly the same because he restored his mini 4 from his mini 2 backup.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
He was saying the settings on both devices are exactly the same because he restored his mini 4 from his mini 2 backup.

Don't think that's right. He was answering the question whether both iPads were on same version of iOS.

And I'm saying that even if the settings are the same, the iOS versions on both devices might be different even if one was restored from a backup of the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.