[split] Media reporting on celebrity death vs. war casualties

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by slooksterPSV, Sep 4, 2006.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    I just found out like 2 hours ago (its 6:17AM) and that's shocking, I can't believe that.

Here's the thing that gets me - we mourn for him, but what about the 4 soldiers that died?
  2. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I'm not saying it's right, but that's just the way the media works. The fact that he was an internationally known personality makes a news story about his death far more appealing/newsworthy to the media consumer.
  3. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I mourn his as I met him many years ago. I was only young, my parents asked if I knew him and I say yes. They took me along and was shocked out of my head to meet him. met him again a few years later. Very good, brilliant person. if I knew them soldiers then I'd be upset too, but again its just the media "4 more sodliers died today". no names, nothing. just their job description.
  4. bringbackduo macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2006
    I can't let this comment get unanswered. Although any death is a great loss to the surviving family members, there is a great difference between Steve Irwin and the soldiers dying in wars. First they chose to go there- that's what soldiers do- kill or be killed.

Secondly, Steve Irwin brought gave us Australian wildlife in our living rooms. He educated and informed us of the joys of living on this planet, whilst the soldiers remind us how awful the life is for the vast majority of people living under oppression, be USA's or the Taliban's, they are as bad as each other!
  5. asxtb macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2005
    Wow! So who forced Steve to be where he was?
  6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Look, there are several factors at work here:

For one, even if you never met Steve Irwin, you "knew" him through his television appearances. We do get a bit upset when a favorite celebrity dies. I greatly admired Joseph Stefano, and that's why I posted a thread about him in the Current Events forum the other day.

The soldiers, we didn't know. That doesn't make their deaths any less important; far from it. Even though I myself am against the war, I consider them heroes, moreso than a "crocodile hunter". But we didn't know them, so their deaths hit us more intellectually than emotionally.

The other factor is that deaths like Irwin's are surprises. You and I didn't wake up this morning and expect to hear that on the news. Unfortunately, soldiers die in this war almost every day. It's become (and please note the quotation marks) "commonplace". It's part of the job, and you know it's coming, albeit not to whom. Again, that's not to dismiss the importance of their deaths. They were not only courageous, they died for what many consider to be a lie, which makes their deaths even more of a tragedy.

Personally I don't have much of a problem with the way the media play celebrity vs. soldier deaths. I have a problem with the fact we don't hear enough from the media that the soldiers' deaths shouldn't have happened in the first place. But that's a whole other subject.

And finally, don't forget that Irwin's death earns a lot of TV coverage because of the sensational aspect of it. Last week both Stefano and actor Glenn Ford died, and they both rated quickie mentions and that was it.
  7. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C

His job was not based on killing, Troops know that when they go in there, it either kill or be killed. Also troops are honored everyday, "Support our Troops" bumber stickers, or pins are very common.

They are just "ideas" of people(sadly), Steve was a person, we knew what he sounded like, most people had seen him on TV. Its a lot like if a family member dies, your are more sad then someone you never met dies in a car crash. Steve was the media's family, they knew him. The Soilders were people they had never met, we all feel bad, but few of us have a strong bond with the troops.
  8. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    I don't understand this perpetual "heroes" business. We have absolutely no idea if they were heroes or not. They just got themselves killed.
  9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons
    Celeb. death vs Iraq casualties vs Afghan casualties vs Aids deaths in Africa (which is far more numerous). None are more important than the next. But keep in mind CNN, Fox, MSN, and all are in a business. Their number one priorety is to gain raitings which brings in the cash. The public is captivated that such a well known TV icon suddenly dies out of the blue. So it's only natural for the media to focus on poor Steve.

My thoughts are with his family.
  10. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    R.I.P croc hunter

bizzare way for him to die at of all the things he's done this is probably one of the least dangerous.

the news is a buisness they report on what gets them viewers sad but true.
  11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    I find this more tragic than most "celebrity deaths." Tom Cruise, Paris Hilton, etc - if their ilk were to all die tomorrow, I don't think the world would suffer a loss. Their individual families, yes; the world, no.

Steve was a bit different in that he celebrity wasn't a result of pure entertainment, but education. I used to love nature shows when I was young, but had drifted away. Sometimes I would get annoyed with his constant "crikey" and would laugh when the crocs got him on both the Simpsons and South Park. But, everytime I watched his show, I knew I was learning something. I'd as soon hang out with a Greenpeacer as Brooke Shields with a Scientologist, but Steve made me care about the planet and do what I could in my own sphere. He got me to stop and not just smell the roses, but to stop and let the roses smell me.

In my mind, war casualties and many celebrity deaths are as different as night and day. But, Steve Irwin wasn't really a celebrity - he was a teacher.
  12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons