Split: Page 2 Explanations (was...G6 Rumors)

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Freg3000, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

If the Power 5 is only going to be presented this October and available next year (as per the Page 1 story), it seems as though the G6 will be a few years off. I think that the G5 will scale past 3 GHz by in the second half of 2004, and then the G6 could introduced maybe at WWDC 2005. Then again, the 980 is vaporware as of now, and there really isn't an firm evidence confirming its development (although a derivative chip seems highly logical).

And just a friendly suggestion, Arn. The last few days there have been a lot of Page 2 stories, and in about all of them there is a question asking, "why is this Page 2 Arn?" Maybe it would be possible to clarify why the story was put on page 2 right beside or underneath the actual story itself, so people aren't trying to figure out why you made your choice as to how reliable the source was.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

huh?

Look up. ;)

arn

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Perhaps Arn just has to add lots of flashing arrows so that people would actually read his explanations as to why the stories are page two news. It seems like he explains them pretty well but people don't read the explanation.

4. Freg3000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Sorry, I am never clear enough. :)

Because you did clarify why this is page two this time, I got the idea that maybe you should do it every time to avoid a little confusion. I think it might be a good idea and was just suggesting it. I am not insane. :)

5. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

I don't think Arn needs to explain a thing, its in the faq that the stories on Page 2 are supposed to be less than reliable or questionable news. I think any kind speculation into the G6 right now would be less than reliable, I mean come on we haven't even received our G5s yet and we're are already talking about the G6es?? It's just a little too early.

As I understand it Page 2 is here so that every hair-brained rumor, although usually from acurate sources don't clog up the front page. Its a signal-noise type thing, and this one IMHO is pointing to the latter.

6. Freg3000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Freg3000

This is actually a little funny. I went back to check my memory to make sure indeed that the last several Page 2 threads have had either someone asking or Arn explaining why it was Page 2. And then I found this in the latest 15" PowerBook thread:

I guess my "friendly suggestion" wasn't very original. ;)

I just don't get why this isn't a good idea. Isn't it just easier instead of people asking every time (at least every time in the last few days) as to why its there on Page 2, and then Arn having to explain his decision? It just seems like a nice thing to add in my opinion.

If you still don't like the idea, flame away. :(

7. jettredmont macrumors 68030

It's not a "bad idea". It's just that Arn's already started doing it, and, look: the first thread where Arn explains explicitly why an article is Page 2 ends up filled, not with questions about why it is Page 2, but rather with a pointless debate whether Arn should be telling us why he placed this article on Page 2.

Your original post was inflammatory for no reason (reread it if you disagree).

Yes, it is a good thing that Arn is providing more detail as to why an article is Page 2 vs Page 1.

8. Freg3000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Freg3000

[not sarcastic] I'm sorry, could you please tell me why my first post is inflammatory? I don't see where you are coming from on that.

As for Arn already doing it, well, that's great. I hope he keeps doing it. Each time there is an outlandish rumors that finds its way to Page 2 from MacB or LoopRumors there will be a different reason for it being suspect. Simply pointing to the general Page 2 rules doesn't explain much.

You might be right about having a pointless discussion with people disagreeing about the reasons it is Page 2. But how is that worse than what we have now? People having a pointless discussion speculating and wondering why Arn put it on Page 2. The only thing that makes the former more positive is that we get more information.

Lastly, thanks you splitting this thread from the G6 thread. I really don't like when i see people hijack threads, and hate it when I see that I am doing it too.

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

heh

Freg, don't worry - I didn't take it as inflammatory. I was just confused, as I thought I had done so.

I'll try to post more explanations in the future.

arn

10. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I think there should be a page 3 on here, for stuff we just make up. We could have our own version of MacOSRumors right here in river city, and would give those of us looking for something to do... something to do. :)

Oh, and by the way, I can make up some really good stuff... ;)

11. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

That's what Spymac and MacWispers are for...;)

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Haha, not sure about spymac, but MacWispers is hell yeah.