splitter questions (for audio)

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by SilvorX, Nov 13, 2002.

1. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

im planning on getting a mac soon (as some of u probably know) and i have a set of 4.1 speakers on my xmas list, and i was wondering if i connected an audio splitter in the headphones jack on the mac, and plugged the 2 ends of the speakers to the jacks on the splitter, would they play fine? or would i HAVE to use an external sound card (such as the m-audio sonica) or could the splitter make it sound fine, i dont mind if the speakers play as 2 sets of 2.1 speakers since i wouldnt really have a problem with that :p lol, they'dd probably be better quality than my speakers right now for my peecee...

2. vniow macrumors G4

It would play fine.

The only thing a splitter would do is duplicate the stereo signal so it would play in all 4 speakers, you're going to get sorta pseudo 4.1 rather than actual 4.1, but it sound better than ordinary stereo.

I hacked me a similar system when my PC was down and all I had was a VCR.
    Hooked up a couple of cables to the speaker input and it played great.
    It even emulated my center channel so I had fake 5.1 sound.[​IMG]

3. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

lol, if it sounds better than my 2.0 speakers i'll be happy :p lol, thats all i want, cuz if i get an ibook, i dont want really quiet speakers lol

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

don't be so sure. it depends on the strength of the built-in preamp. it will _probably_ be fine, but if the signal sounds like crap it's 'cuz you're asking too much of the preamp.

5. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmmm i'll be asking the ppl at the computer stores tomorrow afternoon about splitters in laptops (if i mention ibook they might start bitching at me lol)

6. vniow macrumors G4

You are absolutely correct.

Fortunately the pre-amps I've hooked stuff to weren't too strong so the signal sounded fine, but I've seen a few pre-amps that were a bit much for the final result.

I'm pretty sure laptop headphone connectors aren't too strong though.

Rephrased: It should work fine.

7. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i went to the local puter store today (they sell both pcs and sometimes macs) n one of the guys was saying that using a splitter should be fine for 4.1 speakers, cept there may be a loss of quality (since the splitter splits it) and "some" speakers wont work with it cuz of different jacks