Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hodgey1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Ive just got onto ripping my tv series from dvd onto my external HDD. Ive got a problem though, when i put the series onto itunes it just goes in as one file with multiple chapters so i have to skip to get an episode.

My question is, is there a way to split this up into multiple episodes to be placed into itunes separately?

Thanks

hazybluedot

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
works for me

This isn't necessarily a solution because it has always worked this way for me but I'm sure it depends on how the DVD itself is organized. I have been ripping TV shows off of my Stargate SG-1 DVDs with MacTheRipper and each episode has its own *.VOB file. When I open the VIDEO_TS folder in Handbreak the "titles" dropdown contains a title number for each episode so I can queue them up by title and voila, a separate .mp4 for each episode.

Again, sorry this doesn't really directly answer your question, just give an example of a workflow that has worked for me.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Ive just got onto ripping my tv series from dvd onto my external HDD. Ive got a problem though, when i put the series onto itunes it just goes in as one file with multiple chapters so i have to skip to get an episode.

My question is, is there a way to split this up into multiple episodes to be placed into itunes separately?

Thanks

If your using Handbreak to rip them you can select to only rip a chapter at a time making a file for each chapter.

hazybluedot

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Re-packaging VOBs?

So my situation has changed and I am now more affected by this issue. I recently received my Elgato Turbo.264 and have been using that for encoding (I know there was some mixed reviews on the quality but for my aging PowerBook G4 this boosted my encoding rate from around 4fps to 26fps so I find it well worth it). The only problem is that the software seems to encode by file and isn't smart enough like Handbreak to pull out individual titles from a VOB file. Is there some utility I can use that will take a VIDEO_TS folder and just spit out a separate video file for each title regardless of how the VOBs are distributed?

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
So my situation has changed and I am now more affected by this issue. I recently received my Elgato Turbo.264 and have been using that for encoding (I know there was some mixed reviews on the quality but for my aging PowerBook G4 this boosted my encoding rate from around 4fps to 26fps so I find it well worth it). The only problem is that the software seems to encode by file and isn't smart enough like Handbreak to pull out individual titles from a VOB file. Is there some utility I can use that will take a VIDEO_TS folder and just spit out a separate video file for each title regardless of how the VOBs are distributed?

Not that I'm aware of - at least not an application that will make use of the Turbo.264. If you add the individual vobs to the Turbo.264 app it will encode them seperately (you might have to rename them first though). If each episode is on its own vob, you are good to go. More than likely, this will not be the case. So a clunky workaround would be to use QT Pro to cut them into individual episodes, splicing whenever necessary, and save as a .mov. If you want tagging, then you can export to mp4 and select the passthrough option. Like I said, it is clunky, so you may just want to use Handbrake and let it run overnight.

hazybluedot

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Thanks for the reply. One of the seasons I ripped was fortunately a VOB per episode, which was fine with Turbo, however another season was a single VOB and so would need to be spliced. I wish it was as simple as just letting Handbreak run overnight but with my computer it only gets through about 2 and a half episodes per night vs. 8 or so episodes with Turbo, that's such a huge difference it is almost painful. I might play around with MacTheRipper and see if there is a way to rip a title at a time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.