splitting FCP files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amemoryoncelost, Sep 19, 2004.

1. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

Alright, I have two 30 minute files in final cut pro. I guess they're quicktime files, I dunno, whatever the files are after I capture them. They're too big though and are causing problems for me after I start editing them. I'm taking lots and lots of shots from those two 30 minute clips, which is the reason I'm getting errors once I've made about 40 edits or so.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to split those two clips into a possible four or even 8 clips?

thanks!
    dustin

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Splitting them up won't help, and could make it worse. If the media isn't on a dedicated HDD that would be my first suggestion. OS+apps gets it's own HDD and media (including rendered files) gets it's own HDD.

Lethal

3. amemoryoncelost thread starter macrumors 6502

All of my apps and OS are on the main 80 gig HD and all of the media is on a seperate 120gig HD. That's why I can't figure why I'm having problems. Basically I was doing fine and then it starts throwing a general error and that I'm out of memory. I'm on a powermac G4, dual 800 with 1.25 SDRAM. Out of the 120gigs, I have about 90 free....

I'm lost, hah

4. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

an idea:

trash your FCP preferences file. then repair permissions on your boot drive. eject the media drive. restart the computer, turn on the other drive (if it's external), then start FCP and see whether your problems persist.

5. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Make sure you have the "limit capture to 30 minutes" turned on.

And read up on my plight. Seems a little similar.

6. amemoryoncelost thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm pretty new to apples, so can you tell me quickly how you repair permissions? The other drive by the way is an internal drive. I'm gonna try and edit it again and see what happens. I have the autosave on, so I should be alright if it goes bad again. If it happens again, I'll uninstall FCP, put er back on and try it again...

I dunno....

dustin

7. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Repairing permissions:

Applications--->Utilities --> Disc utility --> verify and repair.

Shouldn't take long.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Not the "Verify Disk" and "Repair Disk" buttons, but rather the "Verify Permissions" and "Repair Permissions" buttons are the ones you want. The application is called "Disk Utility".

9. amemoryoncelost thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, I'll check that out and see how things go. I actually ran into a new problem. I cut a clip up to change the speeds and when I change the speed, it changes the clip to something else. It's confusing and annoying as hell. I think I need to capture everything and start from scratch or something....

never had these problems with FCP2, lol....

10. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

since FCP is nondestructive it's doubtful your speed change modified the original file at all. check it by watching the original video in the Viewer window, after double-clicking it in the Browser.